Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
    Will do. I used to be an amstel drinker then it went away. So i switched to windhoed and discovered my home. Nothing beats it when you want a crisp clean quencher.
    Very true. It os my go to store bought beer

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
      How many Beersmith recipes do you have?
      I have collected 155 that I would like to brew its going to take a while
      I have about 100 recipes, of which 60+ I have brewed at least once.

Comment

I'm at a bit of a tussle with myself. I have 2x brews in the Fermentor for about 2 weeks now. Checked gravity and both stable for the last 2 days now. Still need to add finnings. The tussle is I'm going away on holiday this friday - must I do this now before we go or can the brews stay in the Fermentor for another 2 weeks without them deteriorating?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBartleman View Post
          I'm at a bit of a tussle with myself. I have 2x brews in the Fermentor for about 2 weeks now. Checked gravity and both stable for the last 2 days now. Still need to add finnings. The tussle is I'm going away on holiday this friday - must I do this now before we go or can the brews stay in the Fermentor for another 2 weeks without them deteriorating?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
          Wait on the finings untill you get back. The brews will be okay, as long as they are somewhere where an unexpected heatwave won't affect their temp too much. You can keep a brew in primary for up to 5 weeks under ideal conditions.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
          Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
          Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Does any one know where i can get new bottles like the ones Frankies use?

Comment

Plastilon behind Makro?
              Cheers

Jacques

Comment

I'm sure if you phone them that they would share that info ?
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                  Plastilon behind Makro?
                  Makro in centurion? I did not realize we have a plastilon...

Comment

Makro in centurion? I did not realize we have a plastilon...
                    Jip Centurion. I think it's called Byl's Bridge centre. Right across the Sportmanswarehouse
                    Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      I'm sure if you phone them that they would share that info ?
                      I did. Mpact. For botles, min order is 5000 units. For caps it's 400 000.
                      A tad out of my league.

Comment

LOL
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

When using orange peel, do i boil it with the other wart or steep it in a solvent like vodka, and leave for secondary?
                          This will be used for a saison.
                          I'm trying to get some friends into brewing so doing a kit (again) even though i said i'm done with kits. Purely for simplicity sake.

I'm making a saison. Lme is a golden larger. Will use m27 mangrove jack french saison. Adjuncts will be dried orange peel, and saffron. The saffron will go in secondary. Going to add a cup of white sugar during secondary to ensure extra dryness. Will also boost temp by 2 degrees, then 1 degree after every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You can add the orange zest/peal (use a potato peeler, no nasty bitterness from the white parts of the peel) @ 5 min in the boil, late in fermentation or in a secondary.

I added orange and lime peel in two 5 liter secondarys recently. I boiled a cup of water while I scrubed the fruit lightly with a nailbrush (to remove some of the the waxy layer from the orange peel) and then let the scrubed fruit soak in some sanitiser for a few minutes. Just peeled the oranges with a sanitised potato peeler into a sanitised bowl on a kitchen scale. Took the water off the boil, added the peel to the water, let it stand to cool (in the feezer for a hour) and added the water and peel to the fermenter.

The trick is to add the right amount of peel to the type of beer you are brewing, I used 5 gram per liter in a lite lager. If you knew it was there you could just taste the orange, and the lime but the lime was much lighter to detect. I would double the fresh peel next time. The peel adds a nice citrus finish and a fresh crisp twist to the beer.

Cant help with the dried peel :-(

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 14 April 2018, 22:40.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

When using orange peel, do i boil it with the other wart or steep it in a solvent like vodka, and leave for secondary?
                              This will be used for a saison.
                              I'm trying to get some friends into brewing so doing a kit (again) even though i said i'm done with kits. Purely for simplicity sake.

I'm making a saison. Lme is a golden larger. Will use m27 mangrove jack french saison. Adjuncts will be dried orange peel, and saffron. The saffron will go in secondary. Going to add a cup of white sugar during secondary to ensure extra dryness. Will also boost temp by 2 degrees, then 1 degree after every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Hi Crafty, a side note on the M27, the yeast is very citrusy balanced with pepper. I would recommend doing a secondary addition of the peel if you think it needs more citrus zing. But first give the yeast a chance.
                              That way you can make a vodka tincture with the peel if still required.

Comment

i've found that adding it during the boil you tend to end up with a more fermented orange flavour while adding it after fermentation gives a fresher orange flavour.

Comment

Working...
                                X