Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Too much humidity ?
    You could wash everything down with sodium bicarb. It's common to add sodium bicarb to biltong spice mix to inhibit mold growth.

Edit: Didn't you have an issue a while back with no-chill beer in fermenter going off ? is there a connection perhaps?
    Yup, I think they might be related.

Anyway, guys, a regular SAB keg with a 6" ferrule welded in makes a great fermenter.

Comment

• I've seen people use something like this to solve humidity / moisture issues in chest freezer https://www.solencosa.co.za/collecti...-mini-cupboard

Keep it in the freezer to soak up moisture – plug it in to dry out… rinse and repeat.

It may be worthwhile checking to see if there is an engineering shop that I can irritate with welding a ferrule to a keg. I’m trying to come at this from a weldless perspective, but I still have to buy a replacement corny lid etc. If I can find someone to take do such a small job, it might be worth it…

Comment

• Those doing no chill. What containers are you using for cubes?

Can these handle the heat and are they food grade?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris S View Post
          Those doing no chill. What containers are you using for cubes?

Can these handle the heat and are they food grade?

Look for the HDPE2 stamp on it
          1.png

Comment

• In shot jip they do fine. I just try and minimize handling while very hot as they deform.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thanks guys. How long can you store the wort in them at room temp. 4-5 days OK?

And do you adjust your hop amounts to take the no chill into account?

Comment

Thanks guys. How long can you store the wort in them at room temp. 4-5 days OK?

Not really the amount... mostly the timing of when you add them. General rule of thumb is to move them 20 minutes later.

Have a look here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...2#post-1542375

Comment

• What he said. And 5 days is nothing. I've not done more then a month but some people do 6. I think toxyc did 6 last year

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. How long can you store the wort in them at room temp. 4-5 days OK?

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                    Not really the amount... mostly the timing of when you add them. General rule of thumb is to move them 20 minutes later.

<>
                    I used to do the 20min thing, but ever since Beersmith version3 If been using this feature in the equipment profile ... apparently Brewfather software also have something similar ?

Screenshot_2.jpg

This feature calculates that you're carrying over hops (IBU's) from say a bittering addition to the whirlpool(after flameout) and I set it to between 30-45 (the time the cube is more or less above 80ºC) depending on the ambient temp for the day.

I find it easier and I don't have to mess with a recipe to much .... so all my recipes I share is already calculated for no-chill.
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      I used to do the 20min thing, but ever since Beersmith version3 If been using this feature in the equipment profile ... apparently Brewfather software also have something similar ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3383[/ATTACH]

This feature calculates that you're carrying over hops (IBU's) from say a bittering addition to the whirlpool(after flameout) and I set it to between 30-45 (the time the cube is more or less above 80ºC) depending on the ambient temp for the day.

I find it easier and I don't have to mess with a recipe to much .... so all my recipes I share is already calculated for no-chill.
                      What about late additions and flame out additions? Surely a flame out addition is not going to add the aroma because you aren't instantly chilling. Flame out will be more like a 20/30 minute flavour addition?

Comment

What about late additions and flame out additions? Surely a flame out addition is not going to add the aroma because you aren't instantly chilling. Flame out will be more like a 20/30 minute flavour addition?
                        Yup.. that's what you sacrifice for the convenience of nochill. There are schools of thought saying you can mitigate it somewhat by advancing the flameout hops to a dryhop.

I wonder if anyone has anyone ever done nochill and then cracked the container to add hops after it has cooled sufficiently (but not to fermenting temps) to simulate a flameout hop addition?
                        BruHaha
                        Last edited by BruHaha; 29 June 2021, 07:13.

Comment

• I do it in the container. It loses temp pretty quickly, by the time I'm transferred over it's usually below 80.

Been working for me so far

Comment

• Might be super silly question at the moment I use a hydrometer for SG readings I want to "lose" less wort on my smaller batches does a refractometer work once there is alcohol in the wort? Any cheaper digital options in SA?

Comment

• I'm not all that sure [most] SS fermenters are pressure rated- I don't think mine is (Yeahbrew 30 L, probably import).

Make sure of that if it is your intended use.

Edit: quote not working, @PaBz0r

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                                Might be super silly question at the moment I use a hydrometer for SG readings I want to "lose" less wort on my smaller batches does a refractometer work once there is alcohol in the wort? Any cheaper digital options in SA?
                                Once there is alcohol you cannot use a refractometer. I tried this over and over and never got readings below 1.020

Comment

Working...
                                X