Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
    Has anyone brewed with Polaris hops? Would like some feedback on flavour and aroma. Thanks
    "Typical alpha: 18-23% This new German variety has an incredibly high Alpha Acid level and essential oil content with intense floral and fruity aroma with fresh minty notes."

Just be careful: I think Trevor at Old Potters in Greyton did an IPA with this stuff and it is HORRIBLE at high IBU concentrations.

Comment

• Hi guys, where in SA can I get John Guest shut off valves? (excl the Beer keg) Thanks.
      shut-off-valve-john-guest-PISV0416S.jpg
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 24 August 2017, 16:37.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Hi guys, where in SA can I get John Guest shut off valves? (excl the Beer keg) Thanks.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]1458[/ATTACH]
        Electrical Industries in Cape Town sells a whole range of John Guest type fittings. Get in contact with Sedick, he will be able to tell you exactly what they have. I have bought shut-off valves like that from them before.

Comment

• Closer to Kimberley I dont know, but +1 for Electrical Industries.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Hi guys, where in SA can I get John Guest shut off valves? (excl the Beer keg) Thanks.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]1458[/ATTACH]
            Chat to Francois from Bevtec.co.za. They have JG as well as the cheaper alternative.

Comment

• What is a reasonable/going rate for a corny keg?
              I'm in need of 2 or 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam S View Post
                What is a reasonable/going rate for a corny keg?
                I'm in need of 2 or 3.
                around R1k for a 19L
                Strangely enough, the same for the 9L

Comment

• I bought mine from www.kegsolutions.co.za in Somerset-West. Around R1000

Next issue is going to be : pin lock or ball lock? Short answer, in my opinion, whatever you like.

Pin locks are fatter and shorter, ball locks higher. Ball locks couplings are easier to connect and easier to put wrong connector on wrong post.

Comment

• I don't use them in my brewery, but have seen that pin locks are more user-friendly.

Comment

• Try contacting a local micro brewery and ask if you can buy through them, you might get the equipment slightly cheaper.

Regarding pin/ball lock - I have both and the ones that give me the most troubles are the ball locks. Stick to pin locks!

Comment

• To honey or not to honey?

Hi everyone, so last weekend I had my first brew session with my new keggle and I almost felt like a beginner again trying to get used to my new system.
                        I obviously have some kinks to work out still as my efficiency for my BIAB brew was 55%, with my previous system I manged 75%.
                        This low efficiency led to a O.G of 1.039, which I thought was quite low, so now I was wondering if I should add some honey to it, here is the recipe.

35% Pils
                        35% MO pale malt
                        25% Vienna
                        5% Caramalt
                        22 IBU (Cascade/citra at 60min)
                        8g Cascade at 15min and at flameout
                        8g Citra at 15min and at flame out

SO now I want to ask your opinion, do you think honey will go with this beer? I was thinking that it will make it a very light and crisp, easy drinking beer if I add honey, but I am worried that the flavors of the hops and honey will clash. I don't mind if the honey flavor is overpowered by the hops and doesn't come through at all, I am more interested in the dry crispness that the honey could add to the beer.

So any thought on adding honey, or should I just leave it?

Comment

• In my opinion, 22 IBU's are not crazy for a 1.039 OG wort so if I was in you shoes, I would probably just leave it the way it is and ferment. If you really want some higher abv and keep it crisp, then I think it depends on what temperature you mashed at and yeast to be used. I wouldn't for example add a lot of simple sugars (like honey) if you mashed relatively low, like at 65degreesC or lower and using a highly attenuative yeast strain because you could end up with a watery beer.

Comment

• The short answer I will leave it, you went from a APA to flavourful low alcohol session Ale (LAAPA), or even a dark Blonde Ale I'm sure your beer will be very good as is.
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 3 November 2017, 10:16.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                              In my opinion, 22 IBU's are not crazy for a 1.039 OG wort so if I was in you shoes, I would probably just leave it the way it is and ferment. If you really want some higher abv and keep it crisp, then I think it depends on what temperature you mashed at and yeast to be used. I wouldn't for example add a lot of simple sugars (like honey) if you mashed relatively low, like at 65degreesC or lower and using a highly attenuative yeast strain because you could end up with a watery beer.

Comment

• Awesome thanks guys,

I mashed at 67 degrees and used S-04 yeast, but I think I will just keep the beer as it is and see

Comment

Working...
                                X