Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
    I am planning a chocolate stout again and want to add some cacao nibs to extract more chocolate flavour. I see Woolworths has, just can't see whether they are roasted or not.

Will steep them in Vodka/Bourbon (100g Cacao in about a cup of VOdka which will be topped up as the nibs soak up the liquid) for a week.

Question: will you be able to tell whether the nibs are roasted or not by smelling them? OR just chuck them as is without a worry about roasting?
    Follow these instructions

https://byo.com/article/brewing-with...from-the-pros/

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post

The last chocolate coffee stout I made (which came out amazing). Bought the cocao nibs from dischem, roasted 100g for like 10min I think. From my understanding you roast them to extraxt more flavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Chris_za1
      Chris_za1 what temp were you using to roast 100g? 177°C seems too high for the amount?

Then last question, do you chuck in the nibs together with the soaking liquid into fermenter or only liquid? My gut says everything as the nibs may impart more flavor into the beer?

Comment

• Just saw the Refillery has roasted cacao nibs @ R9.50/100g, that is moerofa lot cheaper than woolies. Will be going there to pick up, then wont have to roast them at home.

EDIT: https://therefillery.co.za/contact/ they have some interesting stuff. NOTE: Leave the wife at home, and go on a full stomach otherwise I can foresee problems

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
          Just saw the Refillery has roasted cacao nibs @ R9.50/100g, that is moerofa lot cheaper than woolies. Will be going there to pick up, then wont have to roast them at home.

EDIT: https://therefillery.co.za/contact/ they have some interesting stuff. NOTE: Leave the wife at home, and go on a full stomach otherwise I can foresee problems
          Read the article I linked, you want to roast your own. You have no idea how they roasted theirs could give you the opposite flavor profile of what you are looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post

Read the article I linked, you want to roast your own. You have no idea how they roasted theirs could give you the opposite flavor profile of what you are looking for.
            I did, was more confused afterwards

In my defence, i am not getting much sleep lately, so my concentration and comprehension is non existent.

Got the section dealing with the heat and flavor profile, I think that @ 177°C for only 100g might be too much.. Don't want too much bitterness from the cacao, but rather chocolate with little bitterness.

TheRefillery's description sounded more or less what I am aiming for, and doubt that it will be a complete stuff up..

Will research some more.

Comment

• Anybody know where I can buy a grain basket? most places seem to be out of stock.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                Anybody know where I can buy a grain basket? most places seem to be out of stock.

https://www.brewcraft.co.za/collecti...t-310-x-300-cm
                Might be a bit small and also a bit pricey in my opinion.

https://beyondbrewing.co.za/product/grain-basket/
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Anybody know where I can buy a grain basket? most places seem to be out of stock.

Pity you live in the Vrystaat, I have a guy in Pretoria that will make you one........

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post

Pity you live in the Vrystaat, I have a guy in Pretoria that will make you one........
                    Whats the approximate price for one that would fit in a 50l logik urn?

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      Thanks for the info, seems like Brewcraft is the only guys that currently have in stock.

The size is good I'm actually planning to use it as n oversized hop spider when I'm brewing with fresh wet hops (5:1 ratio fresh hops : hop pellets) and with dried whole hops.

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post

Whats the approximate price for one that would fit in a 50l logik urn?
                        No idea: he made a basket for my 200L kettle and it cost me R1.5k.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post

No idea: he made a basket for my 200L kettle and it cost me R1.5k.
                          That is not bad at all! Let me see what my brewing plans are and ill reach out for contact details should I want to go that route.

Comment

• Anybody considering Brewzilla gen 4?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                              Anybody considering Brewzilla gen 4?
                              After getting a logik 50l urn building pid control panel adding solar pump for recirculation, not sure ill ever look this direction again. Now that I have some more time ill start fixing parts to the structure etc.

1 Panel.png

2 recirc.png

Comment

Thanks for the info, seems like Brewcraft is the only guys that currently have in stock.

The size is good I'm actually planning to use it as n oversized hop spider when I'm brewing with fresh wet hops (5:1 ratio fresh hops : hop pellets) and with dried whole hops.
                                Kudos to Brewcraft, 2.5 days from ordering and I'm brewing with the grainbasket. They also included a free Ontap winter 2022 magazine, nice touch

Comment

Working...
                                X