No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Harhm 100%. I also don't see the point. Rather brew an amber lager if you want a malty beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post

Brew it with a Lager yeast then you can call it something stupid like a Pseudo Red Ale

Jokes aside, the reason why it is mentioned to ferment a Irish Red with a Lager yeast is to get clean fermentation character dry finish with a low ester profile that will let the malt character shine through.

Yes you can use a lager yeast but you should ask yourself what character the lager yeast are going to bring to the beer, My 1st concern is Sulphur compounds that is produced by most lager yeast is not going to be appropriate in a Irish Red Ale

I would rather use a English yeast strain, ensure good fermentation and prevent fruity esters as far as possible

Perfect thanks for the insight! Was just very curious abt the lager recommendation but your explanation makes lots of sense!

Comment

Brew it with a Lager yeast then you can call it something stupid like a Pseudo Red Ale

Jokes aside, the reason why it is mentioned to ferment a Irish Red with a Lager yeast is to get clean fermentation character dry finish with a low ester profile that will let the malt character shine through.

Yes you can use a lager yeast but you should ask yourself what character the lager yeast are going to bring to the beer, My 1st concern is Sulphur compounds that is produced by most lager yeast is not going to be appropriate in a Irish Red Ale

I would rather use a English yeast strain, ensure good fermentation and prevent fruity esters as far as possible
        My best scoring Irish Red was made with Diamond Lager yeast, fermented low and slow. It was FANTASTIC, but missed a few points on the score sheet. Clean as a whistle, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

My best scoring Irish Red was made with Diamond Lager yeast, fermented low and slow. It was FANTASTIC, but missed a few points on the score sheet. Clean as a whistle, though.
          What was your score for this beer ?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 11 November 2022, 05:13.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

What was your score for this beer ?

I'm talking under correction, but it was 34 or 36, if I remember correctly. Still in the "Very Good" range, and even got a "I'll drink a pint of this" tick from all judges. Judges' comments were that it needed more roasted malts, which is totally correct, as I apparently made an "export IRA" as it's sometimes called, a more sweeter version and less roasted than the guidelines describe. I was fine with that, and decided I like the beer as it is, and I don't change the recipe for my own drinking.

I have to add there were no notes of sulphur mentioned anywhere by any of the judges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

I'm talking under correction, but it was 34 or 36, if I remember correctly. Still in the "Very Good" range, and even got a "I'll drink a pint of this" tick from all judges. Judges' comments were that it needed more roasted malts, which is totally correct, as I apparently made an "export IRA" as it's sometimes called, a more sweeter version and less roasted than the guidelines describe. I was fine with that, and decided I like the beer as it is, and I don't change the recipe for my own drinking.

I have to add there were no notes of sulphur mentioned anywhere by any of the judges.
              That's a very good score, we'll done

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• I'll be relocating to George in a couple of months .. are there any brew shops there? .. for grains etc. I know the SAB hops farms are there. I did a quick google and didn't see anything that jumped at me.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  I'll be relocating to George in a couple of months .. are there any brew shops there? .. for grains etc. I know the SAB hops farms are there. I did a quick google and didn't see anything that jumped at me.
                  There are plenty in the Cape Town area.
                  All I could find. Can find no web page for the bootlegger. Not sure if they are still operating.
                  Bootlegger.jpg
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• As far as i know they closed down the brew shop but the pub is still operating and brewing under licence. Know the owner. Pm me for his number. Or call the pub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thanks guys.. I'll check out the local brew scene when I'm there.
                      Otherwise I'll need to think about my brew stock - especially grain - as it's bulk, will be expensive to courier (I think) coz it's heavy.
                      Think when I need something in CPT area, I will see how my logistics work out and buy enough in advance.

Comment

• Closest LHBS to me is 125km.
                        I order bulk grains form BevPlus in CPT, 50kg at a time, courier is R450, but still a few hundred cheaper than to courier from any LHBS in JHS and PT area.
                        Traveling to collect would cost me about the same as the courier.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Buy bulk from BevPlus. Unmilled grain can be kept for years if in a proper container.

Comment

• Thanks .. I will check out the courier option - seems like the way to go. Especially with the current and dismal future fuel prices.

Comment

• I'm in North West, 50kms from Pta, and BevPlus delivers quite happily. George is a city, I can't think there will be delivery issues from CT.

Comment

• Oh yes: the courier cost is still less than the INSANE markup prices from the craft shops...........

Comment

Working...
                                X