• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
    Can we get white labs yeast locally?
    nope closest is liquid culture, as far as I'm aware

Comment

• Africa Hops brings in White Labs yeast couple of times per year. But minimum quantity is 10 off the small sachet.

Paid about R170 per vial including courier fees late last year. Collected from them in Cape Town.

www.africahops.co.za

Comment

• HI Guys
        beer is busy cold crashing, day 3, can i

1. rack to secondary directly without upping the temp, prime and bottle?
        2. rack to secondary, up temp to room temp, rest 2 days and bottle?
        3. prime secondary vessel and rack, bottle from 2deg?
        4. ???
        not kegging
        what is your tried and tested method

Comment

• My tried and tested bottling method is way simpler then you think. Boil water, add sugar to required level of carbonation. Pour into fermenter and stir with spoon about halfway in, 2x clockwise 2x anti. Let it rest and settle for 10 min.
          Bottle.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by SamlL View Post
            HI Guys
            beer is busy cold crashing, day 3, can i

1. rack to secondary directly without upping the temp, prime and bottle?
            2. rack to secondary, up temp to room temp, rest 2 days and bottle?
            3. prime secondary vessel and rack, bottle from 2deg?
            4. ???
            not kegging
            what is your tried and tested method
            Your 1 & 3 is almost the same and by secondary I take it you mean bottling bucket?

...then yes you can do that ... transfer to bottling bucket straight from cold crush ... add priming sugar and bottle ... store bottles at room temp ... i did it that way for years when I used to still bottle.
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• What Jannie said. I use a tube to the bottom of my priming bucket, and add the boiled priming syrup where there is about 3cm of beer in there. Leave the swirl to mix in the sugar.

Your point 1 and 3 seem to be the same? I think your big thing is calculating how much sugar to use based on the beer temp at time of bottling and desired carbonation.
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Thanks guys, maybe im just overthinking this thing and making it over complicated.

Comment

• What I do is .. I leave primary fermention for 10days regardless if using VOSS .. most activity has stopped, allowed yeast to clean up and most has settled at the bottom already. Then I cold crash for as long as my patience allows. 2 days min .. that said I've got a APA sitting in the freezer for a week now.
                  Then come bottling time I rack into a bottling bucket with a 1 to 3 °C liquid. The amount of dextrose I calc at room temp - say 20°C. Leave bottles at room temp for 1 to 3 weeks , then refridgerate again. I usually take a bottle after 2 days - plonk it in the freezer as an impatient drink and usually it great with enough carbonation going. From there I'll take bottles from room temp into the freezer as my thirst requires.

Comment

• Seeing as I'm not brewing this weekend, I want to replace my logik urn's tap. Can I just go to builders , buy a ball valve / nipple / washer / nut and macgyver it together?

Comment

Seeing as I'm not brewing this weekend, I want to replace my logik urn's tap. Can I just go to builders , buy a ball valve / nipple / washer / nut and macgyver it together?
                      Please post about your experience. I would like to do the same, it would either entail finding an uncommon diameter tap or opening up the hole to the common size. Sorry, I can't remember the sizes

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
                        Please post about your experience. I would like to do the same, it would either entail finding an uncommon diameter tap or opening up the hole to the common size. Sorry, I can't remember the sizes

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
                        Yeah I have a step drill bit that I'll use to make the hole bigger.

Comment

Seeing as I'm not brewing this weekend, I want to replace my logik urn's tap. Can I just go to builders , buy a ball valve / nipple / washer / nut and macgyver it together?
                          Check out NDE. I bought a 3 piece 1/2" SS ball valve (full bore) along with swage nipples and a 90° elbow. Then you'll need some seals. I had some ones lying around so not sure where to source new. That's what I used on my logik urn. You'll have to bore out the original tap hole though. I used a steel drill bit but if I had to do it again I'd use a 1/2" sheet metal punch. It was a pain in the ass with the drill bit, lots of shaving/flatting to do afterwards to sort out the rough edges.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
                          SykomantiS
                          Last edited by SykomantiS; 5 February 2021, 19:34.

Comment

• Talk about fixing taps, best place to get silicone washers in CTN ?

I drove around all day yesterday but no luck for an 'off the shelve" washer.

Was at another seals place today, but they don't have the size press I need and to make one up is R350, so i said no.

I have some silicone sheet that I cut out by hand to the right size, but it looks kak, altho it doesn't seem to leak (yet).
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Bmg in milnerton. Their main branch is in jnb but will over night here if they dont have in stock here.

Take the thing you want to add a washer to with, so they can fit it otherwise its a bit of a crapshoot.

https://bmgworld.net/

Comment

Yeah I have a step drill bit that I'll use to make the hole bigger.
                                Skip the step bit, it sucks on stainless steel and you run the risk of work hardening the area, Buy a 22mm carbide holesaw for 1/2 fittings. Its R120 odd. Otherwise if you have the dosh get a hole punch as syko said, its expensive but will make nice clean holes.

Also +1 for NDE, dont get brass fittings go get nice ss valves and fittings.

Silicone Seals you can get from bmg up the road from NDE with ss washers, otherwise the washers you can get from bolt and nut in paarden eiland.

Comment

Working...
                                X