No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it would be more positive but oh well. I will make an IC myself then but might as well do it properly and get the 30L cooler box as well and then use that with ice water and a loop to speed up the cooling process.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

• Yea. Crudeley speaking, to cool 20l of wort from 95deg to 25deg, you would need to 'mix' 20l of water (ice) at -45deg. Just as a ballpark, ignoring the constraints of real science.

Good luck with your chiller project.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• for someone with a more plumbing related background. Would something like this work as an IC??

https://www.builders.co.za/Plumbing/...iABEgK2-fD_BwE

I am thinking you cut the connector thing off and pull out the heating component and have a copper chiller spiral for under R300. Did I just find a loophole?
        There once was a man from Nantucket.
        Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
        He put the wort into there,
        to cut down on the air.
        Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
          At one stage I just coughed up and paid for a proper IC, but I have always wondered about the option of a straight 'there and back' jacket CF cooler from 15mm and 22mm cu tube. IE counterflow chiller without the b*** ache of coiling and trying to slide hose over it. Especially with issues of water usage and immersion chillers not being super efficient.

So after discovering the joys of Leroy Merlin, and that they readiliy stock bendy cu tube, and not being shnaaied by Builders Whorehouse, the following interesting cost comparison:

A. 15m of easy bending 3/8 tube to make an immersion chiller: R479 [The ballpark figure Jigsaw mentioned]
          {equivalent to 9.5mm, could go bigger pipe diameter but next size up jumps to a whopping R749 for 12.7mm)

B. 5.5m of 15 & 22mm copper pipes and all fittings for a straight 'there and back' counterflow chiller: R585

So both options are kind of there and thereabout really.

I might have posted this before, but here is a 3part series on a parallel CFC ....

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
            for someone with a more plumbing related background. Would something like this work as an IC??

I am thinking you cut the connector thing off and pull out the heating component and have a copper chiller spiral for under R300. Did I just find a loophole?
            Not sure if they hollow inside, but nonetheless, that thing is small enough to maybe cool 4L of water yes
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I've just gotten back from builders, saw your post just before leaving and thought I would check out the product in your link. I don't think it will work, firstly its far to small, and secondly I'm not sure how easy it would be to adapt it to be used as a chiller.

Here's a picture of it (my hand for scale).coil.jpg

Comment

• They aren't hollow. AFAIK they are filled with resistive material that heats up as the current is applied across the 2 terminals.

Comment

for someone with a more plumbing related background. Would something like this work as an IC??

Rather make a propper one yourself. I just rolled mine around a corny keg many years ago was pretty easy. Got the copper from a company selling gas equipment.

Comment

• Help please guys, I don't want to screw up so early on in my hobby lol.

I have a MJ American Pale Ale gluten free extract with my micro brewery kit. So yesterday I go get some dextrose as it needs 600g for the kit. So, these come in 1kg I assume, so I just got extra so there is a few spare in case. Now I'm wondering, the package states 600g of dextrose to be added. Now I'm wondering what would the consequence be if I added a bit more than the recommended 600g? Maybe 800g, or even the whole 1kg? It would obviously increase the SG by a few points, and possibly make more alcohol, or sweeter?

Have any of you done this before? What is your opinions? Thanks

Comment

• You will have a slightly higher abv. Taste should not change a lot.

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                      Help please guys, I don't want to screw up so early on in my hobby lol.

I have a MJ American Pale Ale gluten free extract with my micro brewery kit. So yesterday I go get some dextrose as it needs 600g for the kit. So, these come in 1kg I assume, so I just got extra so there is a few spare in case. Now I'm wondering, the package states 600g of dextrose to be added. Now I'm wondering what would the consequence be if I added a bit more than the recommended 600g? Maybe 800g, or even the whole 1kg? It would obviously increase the SG by a few points, and possibly make more alcohol, or sweeter?

Have any of you done this before? What is your opinions? Thanks
                      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• If it will increase the abv slightly, then I might not try it. With all my reading and tests I've done, I came to the conclusion that higher abv isn't necessarily a good thing. I want to have a few beers, too high abv then I can't have as many.

Feels like I'm getting old saying stuff like that. Would never have thought those words would come from me

Comment

• You could work out how much higher your abv will be, and it will. Id also look at the current abv and how tolerant your yeast is. Ive only used dextrose in one whiskey mash to punt the og, but won't do that again either.

Ive come to the conclusion that I enjoy session beers a lot more than big beers

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I wouldn't add more. It'll up the ABV, but also reduce the mouthfeel and texture of your beer, and might even suppress some flavours.

Comment

• Ok I will stick to the recipe and do the 600g only. Was just wondering what it will do besides upping the abv. Getting higher abv is not the idea

Learning to get myself intoxicated on some nice home brewed beer. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Comment

• Could be a bit drier too,not ideal on APA - do search this forum - there was mention of gluten free brewing and which grains you can safely use. Are you a celiac?

Comment

Working...
                                X