Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm also on a combo of pale ale's and lagers at the moment - have some fun hops to try out. First Pale Ale was Ahtanum single (3 days in the keg), then one with Rakau and Motueka (cold crashing), next up NZ Pilsner with Motueka and Taiheke, After that a Brut IPA with Nelson Sauvin and Enigma I think.

Come on Summer!

Comment

• You will enjoy those NZ hops, green bullet is the tits bittering for a pils. Clean and smooth. Wakatu is also a nice one, I'm keen to revisit Nelson too, apparently it plays nice in a stout?
      I found some galaxy in my stash and am changing my enigma citra to enigma galaxy in the american wheat.

Comment

• Mystic mountain hop in the chamber.
        I gave Walts Malt another go and my brewhouse efficiency dropped by 10% ! Eish !
        My recipe called for 4.5kg fermentables (400g cara) with an expected OG of 1.047 (bu:gu of 0.68) on 75% efficiency, I had pretty poor results using this malt before so I mashed for 90 minutes at 68C.

I finished on 1.041 :-( bu:gu shot to 0.84. Rough calculations tells me to add around 700g extra malt next time to correct this.

Comment

• I was also once again down on my last brew using Walts ....

Recipe called for 1.048 pre-boil, I got 1.043

On the brew before this, I added 500g Walts Vienna extra without calculating it into the recipe and that got my numbers spot-on .... but it bullshit having to add that much extra just to much efficiency with other more well-known malts.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I'll give it one more chance, but will mill it myself, perhaps beerlabs mill is set too coarse? It did look much coarser than what I'm used to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              I'll give it one more chance, but will mill it myself, perhaps beerlabs mill is set too coarse? It did look much coarser than what I'm used to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nope,dont think so, André even milled mine 2x a couple of times to see if it would help, but no go.

You do back-2-back brews of the same recipe ... 1 with Walts and the other MO ..... The Walts brew is guaranteed to be a flop on efficiency.

Comment

• Oh well, there goes that idea...Guess I'll just stick to what works. Malt is the cheapest of all the ingredients in anyway. Thanks for saving me the effort!

Comment

• Was thinking, have you tried a step mash on walts before? Perhaps it could benefit from it?

Comment

• Nope, but since you have the proper equipment for that you could be our 'guinea pig'

...the thing is tho, I want my malt to produce results like it should no matter what brew or style of brew i do

Comment

• Fully agree with you, especially in this day and age. It's craft malt after all and I like supporting local small businesses. I would be well chuffed if the step mash makes a difference though, will give it a bash on my next brew scheduled for next weekend. I want to try my hand at distilling this weekend, I made my own tonic and it's pretty darn good!

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        Was thinking, have you tried a step mash on walts before? Perhaps it could benefit from it?
                        Properly malted barley shouldn't need one. And without a proper temp controller like a Braumeister or Grainfather, it is a huge PITA.

Comment

• I believe so, I'll set a step mash on the GF for my next brewday. Not too much of a problem

Comment

• At R20/kg I would just add R14 to the grain bill and call it a day
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Yeah, the cost isn't the issue really. I use bulk Maris as a base. It's more of a fun investigation with possibly unbalanced beer as a result

Comment

• Did this while watching the rugby ....

Eng Bitter.jpg

Replaced about ½ the Walts Pale with Simpsons Pale .... Recipe called for 1,038 pre-boil .... got 1,040 ... definitely helped with the Walts poor efficiency

Comment

Working...
                                X