This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Pic as promised. No sparge, no chill, no cold crash, no gelatin and no irish moss or any other fining added at end of boil.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2211[/ATTACH]
    Looks yum.

At this stage I think if I want to get a brew done any time soon it will be a mid-week, mid-night venture. I think I need to look into no chill cube... bu then its back to more vessels to clean, blehhh
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Who's brewing this weekend? I need to brew around some activities, so will do a Saturday afternoon brew instead of the Sunday early morning. Doing the Amwheat, I kegged the NZ Pilsner last night - tasty tasty, busy force carbing atm.

Comment

• I don't post in this thread nearly often enough anymore. ..

Yesterday I brewed a 'SMaSHed Cookie', biscuit malt and T90 blend smash.

Quite interesting comparison between this and my pale malt smash. This malt absorbed a LOT more wort, in the range of nearly double, and it was really difficult to squeeze the grains for some reason. So my efficiency dropped off badly
        I haven't used biscuit malt before. Tasted really good straight from the grain, but not sure if the smells and flavours within the wort really appeal to me, but let's set how it goes! Seems much more roasty than I would expect from a base malt.

Also bought some ingredients to do a 'Toxxyc's dry Irish chocolate stout' some time in the holidays, for winter
        Langchop
        Last edited by Langchop; 22 November 2019, 09:04.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Please dont tell us you used 100% Biscuit malt. If so you should slap the person that told you that you can use biscuit as a base malt in SMaSH beer You had bad efficiancy due to the low diastatic power of a specialty malt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 22 November 2019, 07:02.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
            Please dont tell us you used 100% Biscuit malt. If so you should slap the person that told you that you can use biscuit as a base malt in SMaSH beer. You had bad efficiancy due to the low diastatic power of a specialty malt Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
            yep, you'd need a step mash or else add something with higher diastatic but complementary flavours like Marris Otter pale. But then it won't be a SMaSH.

Comment

• Aaaaand that's how we learn. Even me.

Comment

• Was just about to post the same .... even got the Beerlab site open to do a quote

so here goes:

Features

Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C.

Characteristics

Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts. No enzymes. Must be mashed with malts having a surplus of diastatic power.

Usage

All special beers and as well for English ales, brown ales and porters. Up to 25% of the mix
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Aaaaaand thats why I love this forum. I guess I only have myself to slap. I did some very quick internet research to see what SMASH options I could try and somehow I listed biscuit as one of them. If its on the internet it must be true!....right?

Thanks for the knowledge and feedback.

Maybe this calls for blending with a second pale malt smash to try and recover it? My IBU was also too high because of the low recovery, so might also be a chance to remedy that.

Unless anyone has a use for some alcoholic biscuit sauce?
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• That's just the way the cookie crumbles. (tee hee)

Comment

• Ok last comment on my disaster, as it's not really the place for it.

It might not be a complete fix, but it should make it milder. Did a pale smash tonight at 1.053 OG and 18L into fermenter, with single 18 IBU XJA2 hopping at 40 Min. This to combine with the biscuit smash:15L at 1.040 OG and 40IBU T90 blend hopping at 40 Min.

In hindsight, actually quite interesting that I did get fair amount of conversion with no enzymes.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Stripping run...the boil power control is quite handy to maintain condenser temp in conjunction with the needle valve. Aiming for a 2l spirit at 93% . Distillation is pretty boring compared to brewing beer.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                        groenspookasem
                        Banned
                        Last edited by groenspookasem; 24 November 2019, 10:34.

Comment

• Who's brewing what this weekend? I'm doing a Bitburger Pils clone and also a rye mash for a whiskey

Comment

• I'm hopefully brewing on Monday-ish. Got a few days off, might as well make something out of it. Going to be doing my light lager. Can't wait. First brew in my Tupperware boiler!

Comment

• Brewing a smoked beer on Sat. Smoked my malt yesterday.
                              Brewing a Belgian IPA on Wed next week.
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I must also squeeze in something on Saturday ... Not sure what yet. Have not brewed in a loooooong time, so all kegs will be empty soon.
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X