This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    well, you're going to have oxygen in there, but at a negative pressure. similar concept applies to canning food. once you open the cube or your 5l test wort, then you break the seal and introduce "fresh" issues. My 2c, open and pitch yeast once cooled. I digress, not much survives a 100C
    Exactly, yes. I intend on keeping the cubes or 5l bottles sealed, but testing one at each interval to see how it affects the product after time. But once the seal is broken, yeast should be pitched ASAP.

Comment

• Anyone brewing this weekend? I need to strip that sugar wash and perhaps the peated mash, but I'm keen to brew that sabro apa and there's not enough time in weekends anymore

Comment

• No I'm enjoying you and toxyc's extensive brewing but I'm not ready for another brew yet.

Comment

• I'm probably brewing up a few batches again. Also want to see if I can keep my sugar wash warm enough to let it finish for a possible Sunday distill. I really want to run my still with some spirits SOON!

Oh, and I also need to get my hands on some oak. And soon.

EDIT: Also, I need to get my orders in this weekend for some more bulk malt. I'm struggling to find stock that I can collect, so that's a bummer. Want to start making a string of Pilsners in the coming weeks. Just need more cubes. Burned through 12 in the past 4 weeks...

Comment

Anyone brewing this weekend? I need to strip that sugar wash and perhaps the peated mash, but I'm keen to brew that sabro apa and there's not enough time in weekends anymore
            I've done one brew and one sugar wash' in the whole of 2020.... What do you think?

Would love to, but doubt it.
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              I'm probably brewing up a few batches again. Also want to see if I can keep my sugar wash warm enough to let it finish for a possible Sunday distill. I really want to run my still with some spirits SOON!

EDIT: Also, I need to get my orders in this weekend for some more bulk malt. I'm struggling to find stock that I can collect, so that's a bummer. Want to start making a string of Pilsners in the coming weeks. Just need more cubes. Burned through 12 in the past 4 weeks...
              You must actually look into SAB Maltings. I know some people struggle with them and some people find it fine. But it's not far from where I work and I can always collect from there for you.
              Langchop
              Last edited by Langchop; 19 June 2020, 12:32. Reason: And then I can do a buy-some order with you. :)
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                I've done one brew and one sugar wash' in the whole of 2020.... What do you think?

Would love to, but doubt it.
                You do have a Shortchop that demands your time so there's no worries there, grab one of the cubes toxxyc has chilling

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  No I'm enjoying you and toxyc's extensive brewing but I'm not ready for another brew yet.
                  I think it's time to get a bigger brewing unit, it should take around the same amount of time to brew up a bigger batch of wort

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    I'm probably brewing up a few batches again. Also want to see if I can keep my sugar wash warm enough to let it finish for a possible Sunday distill. I really want to run my still with some spirits SOON!

beerlab has french and american oak for pretty cheap https://www.beerlab.co.za/collections/finings . have you called bevplus in jhb? stock should be coming in soon

Comment

Anyone brewing this weekend? I need to strip that sugar wash and perhaps the peated mash, but I'm keen to brew that sabro apa and there's not enough time in weekends anymore
                      My first ever brew this weekend!!!
                      Pretty excited as it has taken weeks for my kit to come in. My two options are brew the extract that came with the starter (as talked about in another thread) or I can do my all-grain hefeweizen... The hefe is my preferred choice however my thermometer hasn't come in from the UK yet so I would be working of the urn temperature setting for the mash... not ideal... I also haven't bent the copper for my immersion chiller yet... I could bend it saturday and brew sunday if you think my urn on a 70 deg setting would be okay for a mash. or do I just go the extract kit, then do the hef in 2 weeks?

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                        Pretty excited as it has taken weeks for my kit to come in. My two options are brew the extract that came with the starter (as talked about in another thread) or I can do my all-grain hefeweizen... The hefe is my preferred choice however my thermometer hasn't come in from the UK yet so I would be working of the urn temperature setting for the mash... not ideal... I also haven't bent the copper for my immersion chiller yet... I could bend it saturday and brew sunday if you think my urn on a 70 deg setting would be okay for a mash. or do I just go the extract kit, then do the hef in 2 weeks?
                        fun times ahead !! I'd say brew the extract, leave the AG until all your kit has arrived. that way there's no rush and if you mess it up, it's still a beer :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          You must actually look into SAB Maltings. I know some people struggle with them and some people find it fine. But it's not far from where I work and I can always collect from there for you.
                          Yeah not a bad idea. I don't mind a lower efficiency if the malt is cheap enough. Can always just up the grain bill to meet my OG. At this stage the only place I'm getting bulk stock of base malts is, again, Beerguevara in CPT and it hurt a chunk last time to pay R300 for delivery. Don't want to do that again.

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          beerlab has french and american oak for pretty cheap https://www.beerlab.co.za/collections/finings . have you called bevplus in jhb? stock should be coming in soon
                          Yeah BevPlus has an online store now indicating stock on hand. The malts I want (as is the case with most base malts), are out of stock. They have Vienna, OK no wait, I just checked, that's also out of stock now. I want Pilsner malt, and if I can, pick it up in the Pretoria/JHB area. I've contacted the local brew shops as well but the guys aren't willing to sell bulk. Obviously too busy cashing in on the current craze on brewing.

On to the oak chips - I ideally don't want too fine chips. I want staves or large pieces I can toast. Don't want to put my booze in plan oak. Don't think that's going to go down too well...

Comment

• Got 2 FV bubbling, so no brewing this weekend ... taking a break
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Got 2 FV bubbling, so no brewing this weekend ... taking a break
                              not a bad spot to be in, my ferm chamber is full, but both those is due to be distilled soon and i hate not hearing the soothing fart of yeasts...or empty fermentors/chambers

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                                Fun times ahead.

Do the extract first. Firstly those urns are very inaccurate and secondly you will have less to learn all in one go and will be less likely to make mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X