Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher also doubles up as a perfect medium rare sous vide machine on the "Eco" 55°C setting. Buy steaks, season them, vacuum pack and stick it in the dishwasher for a full cycle. If you can't vacuum pack, a ziplock back with all the air sucked out also works really well. When it's done, stick it on the braai for 2 minutes or give it a once-over in a cast iron pan or with a blowtorch and you have perfect steak.

Comment

• Honestly I thought I'd never pasteurize a bottle. It just triggered my spidey sense putting sealed bottles in a pressure cooker but this method has no chance of boiling and blowing up. Much appreciated

Comment

• Cheap sous vide, stc1000 on a slow cooker. Done.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
          Honestly I thought I'd never pasteurize a bottle. It just triggered my spidey sense putting sealed bottles in a pressure cooker but this method has no chance of boiling and blowing up. Much appreciated
          My biggest worry with this method is that a well-carbed bottle might just go pop. Remember the higher the temp, the less CO2 can dissolve in water. So as you raise the temp, CO2 will escape and pressure in the bottle will increase. That's always been my biggest worry...

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            My biggest worry with this method is that a well-carbed bottle might just go pop. Remember the higher the temp, the less CO2 can dissolve in water. So as you raise the temp, CO2 will escape and pressure in the bottle will increase. That's always been my biggest worry...
            I've had one or two caps pop off in the dishwasher, so it happens, bit it's relatively rare. And clean-up is a breeze.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
              Did an experimental brew for the Wife and Daughter today.

Attempting a Sweet Litchi Beer.

17L Went into the fermenter at a OG of 1.082, will ferment for about 3-4 days to hit a FG of +- 1.040 (~5.5% ABV), then add 3 liters of UHT Treated Litchi Juice and Cold Crash.

Pretty hefty grain bill for a 20l batch.

5.1 kg Pilsner Malt
              1.7kg Pale Ale Malt
              850g Cara Pils
              850g Munich

Added a little bit of hops (it is a beer after all)

6g Southern Star (60 min)
              12g Mosiac (15 Min)

Used Lalbrew London ESB Yeast for some fruity flavours and it's low attenuation.
              This was a very quick turnaround, and it came out great, the wife and daughter love it, not my cup of tea, but if it makes them happy.

Comment

• The pics suck but had a nice American Amber Ale brew today. Took some time to get the urn hot but had fun and ABSOLUTELY NAILED my OG. Check out the recipe and tell me what you think. I hooked onto Toxyc's discovery of Caraaroma and the color is AMAZING

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                  This was a very quick turnaround, and it came out great...
                  Looks good, could be nice on a hot summer day.

What's your take on the London ESB? I made one beer with it and didn't like it but also not a fan of the sweet beers.

Comment

• Used BestMalz equivalent of CaraArome call Special X many times, great malt. Also did an Amber Ale this weekend with Special X.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachless View Post
                      Looks good, could be nice on a hot summer day.

What's your take on the London ESB? I made one beer with it and didn't like it but also not a fan of the sweet beers.
                      I think the London ESB is good if you're making a sweeter ale or chocolate stout, it adds some fruity flavours that won't go well with a dry Ale for example, but works well for what I intended in this one.

I also used it in the Guinness Clone I did yesterday, will see how that one comes out it's fermenting at 16.7c which is technically low for the yeast, but follows Guinness's process, so far it's bubbling away consistently.

Comment

• Fermenting a Vienna lager (a kit brew I'm doing) exactly as the homebrewer would do it (want to see how it turns out).
                        Then I stuck a "special" Vienna lager of myself in the fridge over the weekend, planning on lagering that one for a further two to three months.
                        Also brewed another Vienna kit beer today in an exhibition brew to see how I can scale up my process. Went well, I think.

Comment

• Having a go at a SMaSH International Pale Lager (2A) today. It will be my first lager. I'm using Viking Pilsner Malt and Hallertaeur Mittelfrueh hops.

I unfortunately ordered from a supplier who does not crush malt so I was stuck trying to crush it myself. I ended up using a coffee grinder which was far from ideal and very time consuming. I hit estimated pre-boil gravity and volume so overall it worked out well. However, right up my list of wants now is a mill of sorts.

Comment

• Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
                            Having a go at a SMaSH International Pale Lager (2A) today. It will be my first lager. I'm using Viking Pilsner Malt and Hallertaeur Mittelfrueh hops.

I unfortunately ordered from a supplier who does not crush malt so I was stuck trying to crush it myself. I ended up using a coffee grinder which was far from ideal and very time consuming. I hit estimated pre-boil gravity and volume so overall it worked out well. However, right up my list of wants now is a mill of sorts.
                            Nice! I did a Pilsner/Tettnanger smash this past weekend but I'm not lagering it

Comment

• Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
                              Having a go at a SMaSH International Pale Lager (2A) today. It will be my first lager. I'm using Viking Pilsner Malt and Hallertaeur Mittelfrueh hops.

Of your based in the south, Long Beach Brewery in Noordhoek sell grain and will mill your grain for for you.

Edit: the website https://schoolofhops.co.za/

Comment

• BeerGuevara and Beerlab in CPT both will mill your grain as well

Comment

Working...
                                X