Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow that's a proper amount of hops in 5l.
    Check out some of the theories on hop saturation. I remember reading the lb/gal values and thinking I'm still way below.
    But at these rates you might be getting diminishing returns on all that hop

Comment

• I've never heard of hop saturation, but it sounds that I'm way beyond that.
      "Dr. Tom Shellhammer, hop science expert from Oregon State University’s Department of Food Science and Technology, has led research looking into the impact various dry hop quantities have on beer aroma and flavor. Dr. Shellhammer’s team ran an experiment comparing beers with dry hop rates ranging from a low of 2 g/L (0.28 oz/gal; 0.5 lbs/bbl) to a high of 16 g/L (2.14 oz/gal; 4 lbs/bbl) then analyzed the objectively measurable and organoleptic effects. Ultimately, it was concluded that dry hop rates higher than 8 g/L (1.1 oz/gal; 2.1 lbs/bbl) is an “inefficient use of raw materials,” which is believed to be due to saturation of hop oils in the beer."
      from Brulosophy site.

Hopefully I'll be able to get 4l of beer above the trub. That's what I've bargained on.

Comment

• Brewed a South Effrican Pale Ale yesterday.

SAB Malt, Pilsner, Cara I, Cara II, Southern Aroma (Dawn is out of stock everywhere), African Queen, SAB 91 N1/169 experimental hops. US-05 yeast.

Hmmmm, looking at this it's only the Hops that makes this South Effrican...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          Great, I have Kveik Oslo in the fridge, haven't used it before, so any info from you PaBz0r will be great.
          Have you given it a try yet? The "lager" is super clean, I am very happy with the outcome. I am already planning to do a sneaky brew again this week with the cake that I saved

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
            Have you given it a try yet? The "lager" is super clean, I am very happy with the outcome. I am already planning to do a sneaky brew again this week with the cake that I saved
            Had everything for the Pale Ale, next on my list is the Honey/ Rooibos Lager with Kveik yeast. Good to hear that it's nice and clean, I'm planning to bottle the lager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
              Brewed a South Effrican Pale Ale yesterday.

SAB Malt, Pilsner, Cara I, Cara II, Southern Aroma (Dawn is out of stock everywhere), African Queen, SAB 91 N1/169 experimental hops. US-05 yeast.

Hmmmm, looking at this it's only the Hops that makes this South Effrican...
              Sounds Good
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I'm planning a Kartoffelferienbier (potato festival beer) brew for this weekend, or this week if I can sneak an afternoon to brew. Has anyone on the forum ever tried one.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
                  I'm planning a Kartoffelferienbier (potato festival beer) brew for this weekend, or this week if I can sneak an afternoon to brew. Has anyone on the forum ever tried one.

Nog nooit van gehoor nie ...

more info ?

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Nog nooit van gehoor nie ...

more info ?
                    https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...vacation-beer/
                    Just to see how it tastes. I'll do a 19l BIAB brew. It had better be drinkable, I'm down to a few cases of Castle light 660ml bottles.
                    I'm going to change quite a lot in the recipe, to include what I have in stock

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
                      https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...vacation-beer/
                      Just to see how it tastes. I'll do a 19l BIAB brew. It had better be drinkable, I'm down to a few cases of Castle light 660ml bottles.
                      I'm going to change quite a lot in the recipe, to include what I have in stock

Nah .... I like my potatoes cut into strips and fried in oil

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        Nah .... I like my potatoes cut into strips and fried in oil
                        absolutely

We have a keg of something similar in the coldroom that we brewed as an experiment, it's horrible.

Comment

• Brewed a Pale ale with Pale, Munich and Caracrystal120 yesterday. Summit for bittering at 60 and 100g Simcoe in the whirlpool.
                          Pitched a third use US-05 this morning - DAMN the wort smelt GOOD. I'm looking forward to this one. Hit my target SG of 1038 as well which I know isn't the range for a pale ale but as said earlier I prefer lower ABV with flavour

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            Brewed a Pale ale with Pale, Munich and Caracrystal120 yesterday. Summit for bittering at 60 and 100g Simcoe in the whirlpool.
                            Pitched a third use US-05 this morning - DAMN the wort smelt GOOD. I'm looking forward to this one. Hit my target SG of 1038 as well which I know isn't the range for a pale ale but as said earlier I prefer lower ABV with flavour
                            Nice, I too prefer my beers around 4% abv.

Comment

• Who's brewing this w/end? I got some Willamette (cheap) in bulk and am contemplating a lowish abv ale, a bit brown and a bit sweet but still balanced. On the other side of the coin, it's been too long since my last burton ipa

Comment

• Brewing a American Pale Ale today .. I got an Amber Ale premix from BG - but that suppose to make 15litres - then I mix it 50/50 with pale ale malt to make up volume - so, it will be a diluted version of the amber ale. I've made the amber ale before as per recipe and found it a but too heavy drinking - very rich in taste. Very yummy non the less .. but 15 litres is not enough for all that brewing effort - 2x 5gal brew batch suits me fine. Using last of Simcoe and chinook hops for bittering, last of the cascade for 15min and 5 min, then 50g citra whirlpool at flameout.

Edit: OG 1.054, FG 1.009, 5.9% US-05 SRM 9, IBU 33
                                AlexBrew
                                Last edited by AlexBrew; 18 September 2020, 11:46. Reason: Added tech details

Comment

Working...
                                X