This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    My 2c, I'd take both the 60 and 30min hops and use them to dry hop. Bitter with something something else, amarillo is too good to boil to death like that. OR whirlpool with the whole lot, OR a decent 5 min addition and some dry hopping
    Fair comment. It's all I have unfortunately. What's a cheap/good bittering hop I should get?
    EDIT: A quick google shows chinook?

Will boiling hops for 60 mins bittering still impart some flavour or is it all killed and just bitterness remains?
    BruHaha
    Last edited by BruHaha; 15 December 2020, 20:31.

Comment

• I See Dewald also posted here some cheaper SA hops that works well : https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...ll=1#post29352

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
      I had some extreme bittering when I used African Queen in a 60 minute boil, something to do with the makeup of SA Hops, but seeing that I only do 30 min boils nowadays, it does not phase me.

Southern Dawn is a fantastic bittering hop for Pale Ales, and Southern Aroma for Lagers and Pilsners.

African queen is an excellent all rounder from bittering, to late additions, to dry hopping.

Comment

• I won't risk sab hops for bittering (but that's just me, ive only used a sab hop once and in a hopstand at 85c), I like galena, summit, magnum, perle and green bullet. Magnum is pretty clean and not expensive either

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I won't risk sab hops for bittering (but that's just me, ive only used a sab hop once and in a hopstand at 85c), I like galena, summit, magnum, perle and green bullet. Magnum is pretty clean and not expensive either

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
          Hmm.. Magnum has 13.7%AA according to brewcraft and only R78 per 100g. Thank you sir I shall get some for next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
            Hmm.. Magnum has 13.7%AA according to brewcraft and only R78 per 100g. Thank you sir I shall get some for next time.
            Do check this out for some guidelines http://www.hopslist.com/hops/

Comment

Looking to do a nice simple Amarillo Smash and I came across this one from beerroute.co.za which seems to fit the bill. Thoughts?

Ferment Volume: 21L (depending on efficiency)
              Efficiency: ~70%
              Target OG: 1051
              Target FG: 1010
              Target ABV%: 5.41%
              Target IBU: 29

Mash 5Kg Pale Malt for 60 mins @ 65degs

Amarillo 14g (8.6%) 60 mins Bitter
              Amarillo 14g (8.6%) 30 mins Flavour / Aroma
              Amarillo 28g (8.6%) 0 mins Aroma / Flavour

Fermentis S05 yeast at 19degs

EDIT: If I use kveik, I don't need my fridge so I can start sooner. Voss seems to be neutral enough right?
              So I plugged the Amarillo Smash into Brewer's friend and got this
              Original.jpg

Trying to compensate for
              a) my lower 6.5% amarillo from brewcraft
              b) my no-chill method

I've modified the recipe like so to hit roughly the same IBU
              Modified.jpg

NOTE: Actual hop additions at 60 and 0 (only modified in the program to simulate no-chill)

Or maybe this using no-chill setting of brewather as pointed out by JIGSAW. Is a 20 min setting at 77Degrees ok for this?
              Modified2.jpg

Good/Bad/Crazy scientist? Maybe I should just go to bed .. enough overthinking for 1 night.
              BruHaha
              Last edited by BruHaha; 15 December 2020, 23:07.

Comment

So I plugged the Amarillo Smash into Brewer's friend and got this
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2859[/ATTACH]

Trying to compensate for
                a) my lower 6.5% amarillo from brewcraft
                First up the amount in grams to match that of the original recipe eg probably about 19g at 60min to match 15,9IBU
                Do the same for the 30min

b) my no-chill method
                Then all you do for no-chill is on brew day only add the 60min hop at 40min and add the 30min hop at 10min ... keep the Flameout hop for a dryhop

I've modified the recipe like so to hit roughly the same IBU
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2860[/ATTACH]

NOTE: Actual hop additions at 60 and 0 (only modified in the program to simulate no-chill)

Or maybe this using no-chill setting of brewather as pointed out by JIGSAW. Is a 20 min setting at 77Degrees ok for this?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2861[/ATTACH]

Good/Bad/Crazy scientist? Maybe I should just go to bed .. enough overthinking for 1 night.
                My Comment is above
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• You seem to be making this difficult

Comment

• I looked at the pics, and you're on the money with any option really. If you have a bit of cara, it wont hurt your beer, but I do like beer without it too. Again, I cant help with the no chill, but the RBR/bugu on those options are fine

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      My Comment is above
                      Cool.. pretty much the way I am leaning after sleeping on it. Never done dryhop so what would you recommend... 2/3 days after fermentation to be safe? I read the brulosophy-exbeeriment quoted below but what is this dankness they speak of? A quick google shows references to catpiss and gym sweat towels?!?! :vomit: So surely that needs to be avoided but people seem to like it?

My Impressions: For the first time in awhile, I was able to distinguish between these beers on a fairly consistent basis, both side-by-side and in quasi-blind triangles served to me by others. Aromatically, I perceived the short dry hop beer as possessing more dank, resinous character that was layered with citrus and tropical fruit notes, while the long dry hop beer came across as having little dank character at all. In terms of flavor, the long dry hop beer was certainly hop-forward, which to me was reminiscent of a clean juice blend, with a pleasant maltiness in the finish. The short dry hop beer had the same juice-like flavor combined with a pungent kick of resinous, danky deliciousness. While I thought both beers were fantastic, I’ll definitely be sticking to shorter dry hop lengths due to my preference for punch-you-in-the-teeth hop character as well as shorter turnaround times.
                      - - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      Do check this out for some guidelines http://www.hopslist.com/hops/
                      Shotto.. between this list and the yakimachief pdf I think I should be sorted.
                      BruHaha
                      Last edited by BruHaha; 16 December 2020, 08:02.

Comment

My 2c, I'd take both the 60 and 30min hops and use them to dry hop. Bitter with something something else, amarillo is too good to boil to death like that. OR whirlpool with the whole lot, OR a decent 5 min addition and some dry hopping
                        I ditto that.

Magnum is a good bittering hop - I like that one, it's not that expensive and coz of the high AA content, you don't need much, making it even cheaper ... for a good result.

I would not use SA hops for bittering - you'll taste the Castle Lager in it. I've learned my lesson. I'm yet to experiment with SAB hops for later additions.

I see a IPA recipe from BG, they use Chinook for bittering, then Amarillo and Simcoe in various stages of the boil till dry hopping. So, Chinook seems to be recommended for bittering.
                        AlexBrew
                        Last edited by AlexBrew; 16 December 2020, 08:27.

Comment

• Using my benoni brew mill for the 1st time. I'm thinking the middle one?

3 mills.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          BruHaha
                          Last edited by BruHaha; 16 December 2020, 09:46.

Comment

• If you do BIAB you can crush very fine.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Cool.. pretty much the way I am leaning after sleeping on it. Never done dryhop so what would you recommend... 2/3 days after fermentation to be safe? I read the brulosophy-exbeeriment quoted below but what is this dankness they speak of? A quick google shows references to catpiss and gym sweat towels?!?! :vomit: So surely that needs to be avoided but people seem to like it?
                              4 days before bottling is golden , no matter when fermentation finished.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                                I ditto that.

Magnum is a good bittering hop - I like that one, it's not that expensive and coz of the high AA content, you don't need much, making it even cheaper ... for a good result.

<>
                                I get what you and Spook are saying, but he is trying to do a clone of a popular Amarillo SMaSH (Lunar Brewery) and if he is is now having to cut out hop additions and change hops, it's no longer a clone, let alone a SMaSH

I'd say brew it as intended (the amount of Amarillo needed is very little) so he can compare.
                                He can always do his own version on the 2nd attempt

-------------------------------
                                Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                                Using my benoni brew mill for the 1st time. I'm thinking the middle one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2863[/ATTACH]
                                2 looks good yes, but like said with BIAB even 3 can work

nothing in between 2 & 3 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X