This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Im all for Citra. Never actually dry hopped with centennial, when used in the boil and whirlpool it was always underwhelming so ive downgraded it in my mind, not good enough for DH. Did a Sabro blonde today. From the smell thats my next favorite
    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    I've read that too .. they say don't overdo it with centennial. Citra it is.
    Will keep eye out for Sabro. Now that I've got my freezer on temp control I can start looking at other beers than pale ales. Belgian Saison in there now .. blondes, lagers coming up.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
      I've read that too .. they say don't overdo it with centennial. Citra it is.
      Will keep eye out for Sabro. Now that I've got my freezer on temp control I can start looking at other beers than pale ales. Belgian Saison in there now .. blondes, lagers coming up.
      Another new hops that I would love to try is Bru-1 - apparently have awesome pineapple aroma ..... imagine that in a Weiss!!
      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• Kegged my mosiac smash.. and then decided to play lottery with leftovers I bottled a few months back. Didn't mark the bottles.. must say some aging helped the trappist become better, the cascade smash was very mellow but cleared nicely.

Comment

• Perfect time to get your kveik on!
          #NoFridgesNeeded

1.jpg

Comment

• Actually nice and cool for this time of year!
            Check out Rustenburg. "Cools down" when its raining atleast. And no 38c days at least so im not complaining

Comment

• Another "hopless pale". I got some free time in the afternoon so rushed to get this done. I don't remember the same grain-bill previously giving me such an apparent huge amount of hot break. This was just before it got to rolling boil

IMG_20210118_174239.jpg

Only difference to previous time was that I left the mash while fetching the kid from school, so a 2 hour mash in the end.
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Doing an Amber ale the weekend.
                The listed Amber malt is basically Victory malt.

Amber.jpg
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Honestly I give up making wheat beers. My efficiency is 40%. I mashed for an 1h30 to try and get better extraction but nada.

I tested out the corona mill with a few sidegrades to make it work lekker, my crush was fine everything was super crushed up.
                  To add insult to injury I had mayor boil off and it looks like this batch is closer to 15L instead of 22L, so I probably got worse extraction than I think.

And the worst part is it looks like my awesome Belgian yeast is dead so I will probably end up pitching us-05.

all things considered this was a piss poor brew day.

Comment

• That is awful! With that masive boil off were you atleast able to reach a decent OG?

Comment

• I do no chill so will check once the wort and myself have cooled down. stoopid beer so much fun but can be lekker frustrating sometimes.

Comment

• I wouldnt worry about boil off. You can always top up to a desired OG

Out of interest sake, what was your strike water volume versus your drained wort volume (assuming BIAB), and how many kg grain? [ie. how much absorption]
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                          Honestly I give up making wheat beers. My efficiency is 40%. I mashed for an 1h30 to try and get better extraction but nada.

I tested out the corona mill with a few sidegrades to make it work lekker, my crush was fine everything was super crushed up.
                          To add insult to injury I had mayor boil off and it looks like this batch is closer to 15L instead of 22L, so I probably got worse extraction than I think.

And the worst part is it looks like my awesome Belgian yeast is dead so I will probably end up pitching us-05.

all things considered this was a piss poor brew day.
                          Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                          I do no chill so will check [OG] once the wort and myself have cooled down. stoopid beer so much fun but can be lekker frustrating sometimes.
                          On another note... How do you calc your efficiency if you dont have your gravity? I reckon your efficiency is better than you think
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Once again why i like to check PRE-boil volume and gravity readings and compare with recipe/software predictions ....

but I'll leave it at that
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                              On another note... How do you calc your efficiency if you dont have your gravity? I reckon your efficiency is better than you think
                              checked pre-boil. it was 1.025 when it was supposed to be 1.047. it was low as shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                                I wouldnt worry about boil off. You can always top up to a desired OG

Out of interest sake, what was your strike water volume versus your drained wort volume (assuming BIAB), and how many kg grain? [ie. how much absorption]
                                1. grain was 5.6kg
                                2. I no sparge so I added 29L to the urn
                                3. drained wort was not measured but it is about 3/4 full where it usually ends up in my cube.

Comment

Working...
                                X