This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes you can ... just make sure your added water is sterrile .. FFS

What I do when PBG is too high ... to collect more runnoff and add it to the boil kettle - .. and as boilover allows'. Diluted it may be - better than disilled water - I think. People talk about astringency?? anyway lets first get past the bubblegum
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 26 January 2021, 23:13.

Comment

• OK I'm planning a few brews this weekend.

1. 45l Blonde Ale for Lazy Hunter (got orders coming in a bit again, at least).
      2. A crisp, lite lager, possible "Castle Lite" replacement brew.
      3. A pilsner for myself.

Recipe for #2:

Going to mostly copy camsaway's recipe posted here: https://wortsandall.co.za/showthread...ll=1#post33627

But I'm going to make some changes. I'm swapping out the S-23 yeast with S-189 as I have it on hand. I'm also going to swap out the African Queen addition at the end with 8g of Mittelfrueh at 5 minutes/flameout. I'm also going to be leaving the T90 addition to stick to 12 IBUs. I've never brewed a beer this low in IBUs, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Recipe for #3:
      Going to be really simple for me.

4kg pilsner malt (or however much is left in the bag on the shelf here).
      SAB T90 hops at 60 minutes for 24 IBUs. Boiling for 60 minutes purely to ensure I get rid of all the T90 flavour. Don't have other bittering hops here, LOL.
      Thinking of doing a flameout addition with something like 12g of Tettnang. I've heard good things about Tettnang, and want to see how it compares to Saaz.
      I'll be fermenting this one with S-23 (once it arrives).

Both these two beers will be lagered for at least a month at near-freezing to get them ready for the hunting season. I can't wait.

Comment

• OK perhaps I'll swap the Pilsner I have planned for a Marzen. I just read up about the style and it seems to combine my two favourite styles - Pilsner and a Vienna/malty brew into one. So I'm going to do the following:

Malt bill for a 25l batch:
        1.9kg Pilsner
        1.9kg Vienna (I don't have Munich malt, so this is the closest sub I have that might work)
        0.25kg CaraMunich
        0.25kg Goldswaen Brown (what an AMAZING malt, by the way)

Hop schedule:
        11g T90 13.6 AA hops at 60 minutes for a total of 18 IBUs.
        10g Mittelfrueh at flameout for a total of an additional 1 IBU.

I'll be fermenting this one with S-189 I have on hand (saved yeast cake from my Pilsner). It's old, but I'll get it going again and create a nice and strong starter before I pitch the yeast into the fermenter.

I'm planning on 25l into the fermenter, but I'll see how my efficiency plays out. I've got a 6% ABV in mind for this brew. I should be able to get there with 4kgs of malt at my efficiency of 90%. I'm planning on hitting 1.060 OG here. S-189 ferments quite dry, so I'm just hoping I don't drastically overshoot the FG and end up with a 7% beer, but if I do, eh, it'll be a fun drinker then!

I cannot wait for this one!

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem
          are you sure you want to boil those weeds for 60min?
          my 2c, hopstand your mittelfruh and bump the bugu to 0.5. looks like its sub 0.5 atm
          Interesting... my bugu is also sub 0.5. Please turn your 2c into a 5c and carry on the convo. What's your reasoning for bumping it?

Comment

sub 0.5 is malty which is fine but at that level it's a bit sweet for my taste, 0.5 is a good balance point between sweet/bitter. perhaps my perception of sweet is skewed, i dont take sugar, soft drinks or any sweet things really, so it tends to stand out very quickly
            Ah.. thanks for the explanation.

Originally posted by groenspookasem
            i wasn't going to brew this weekend, but man, am i now lus for a cali common...

Doooo eeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              OK perhaps I'll swap the Pilsner I have planned for a Marzen.<>
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

are you sure you want to boil those weeds for 60min?
                my 2c, hopstand your mittelfruh and bump the bugu to 0.5. looks like its sub 0.5 atm
                I haven't picked up grassy crap from T90 yet, and I've done a few 60 minute boils with them. Otherwise I can just drop to 30 and up the amount to get to the same IBU.

Regarding the BU:GU, I'm aware it's a bit low, and it is bothering me a bit. I know I like a beer in the sub-20 IBUs range all the way up to 5.5%, but this is a different ball game. I'm not TOO fond of the dry styles with a high IBU when done, but maybe aiming for 19 IBU is a bit low. I'll turn it up to 24 and see how it turns out.

Regarding the mittelfrueh, yeah hopstand is usually how I do it. Once the boil completes I dump it in and I usually let it sit for a minute or two before cubing. Didn't know "hopstand" is an actual name, heh. I usually just call it flameout hops.

Comment

• Im leaning more towards the original recipe.
                  Hop-stands and hop-tea's have their place, and for me, it's not in this style IMO
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Finally started my brulosepher marzen. Busy getting it to the boil now then into cube for pitching tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                      brulosepher marzen..
                      Your recipe ? thx

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        Your recipe ? thx
                        Screenshot_20210130_201136.jpg
                        It's my nochill setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha
                          It's my nochill setup.
                          Thx. I did google the brulosophy Marzer and found a couple of recipes .. then other one had a simpler grainbill with magnum and tetnang hops.

Comment

• Ok so I didn't get to my lite lager (this week's plan), but I got the marzen out. Darker than I expected and I undershot the volume a bit (I was worried about overfilling the chill cube so I played it safe). I'll water it down if need be though.

I boiled with irish moss to see if I can get the proteins out better with this batch. My pilsner refused to clear up and I think it's due to proteins in the beer.

I ended up slightly adjusting the recipe:
                            2kg pils
                            2kg vienna
                            250g each CM1 and Swaen Brown

13g T90 at 45 minutes (30 minutes had a bunch of T90 aroma still and I didn't want that, so extended the boil a bit)
                            12g Mittelfrueh at pretty much flameout. Also squeezed the hop bag properly in the end and got A TON of Mittelfrueh aroma out of that.

Cubed around 22l. Will check gravity probably tonight when I pour into fermenter and then adjust as needed. I can't wait for this one. S-189 is busy starting already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              Ok so I didn't get to my lite lager (this week's plan), but I got the marzen out. Darker than I expected and I undershot the volume a bit (I was worried about overfilling the chill cube so I played it safe). I'll water it down if need be though.

I boiled with irish moss to see if I can get the proteins out better with this batch. My pilsner refused to clear up and I think it's due to proteins in the beer.

I ended up slightly adjusting the recipe:
                              2kg pils
                              2kg vienna
                              250g each CM1 and Swaen Brown

13g T90 at 45 minutes (30 minutes had a bunch of T90 aroma still and I didn't want that, so extended the boil a bit)
                              12g Mittelfrueh at pretty much flameout. Also squeezed the hop bag properly in the end and got A TON of Mittelfrueh aroma out of that.

Cubed around 22l. Will check gravity probably tonight when I pour into fermenter and then adjust as needed. I can't wait for this one. S-189 is busy starting already.
                              OK so I got just over 20l of this wort at 1.062. It was a bit higher than I wanted so I watered it down to 1.054 and got 23l at the end. It gave me a 90.8% efficiency into fermenter. I pitched S-189 and it's currently sitting at 13.3°C. For some reason the fridge refuses to keep it at 12.5 where I want it, but 13.3 is still in the middle of the range so I'm happy.

The wort looks and smells amazing. I can't wait for this one!

Comment

• OK so I pitched on Monday evening. For some reason there's not much activity yet (no krauzen or anything). I don't remember the lag phase being this long with S-189 in the past...?

Comment

Working...
                                X