Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, that's in my opinion nonsense, cold crashing doesn't magically create more COČ in suspension.

If your beer contains let's say 500g of COČ after fermentation is complete, and you cold crash it, where is the additional 200g of COČ that's now also going to be in your beer supposedly coming from?

Even if there is some COČ in the headspace of your fermenter, the beer will not obsorb that at atmospheric pressure. If anything, the drop in pressure inside the fermenter due to the cold temperature will allow more COČ to escape from the beer as it cools down.

The reason a bottled beer that's chilled in the fridge absorbs more COČ into suspension is because of the pressure in the bottle and the presence of COČ to obsorb.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    paul.stevens
    Last edited by paul.stevens; 15 February 2021, 06:50.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
      No, that's in my opinion nonsense, cold crashing doesn't magically create more COČ in suspension.

If your beer contains let's say 500g of COČ after fermentation is complete, and you cold crash it, where is the additional 200g of COČ that's now also going to be in your beer supposedly coming from?

Even if there is some COČ in the headspace of your fermenter, the beer will not obsorb that at atmospheric pressure. If anything, the drop in pressure inside the fermenter due to the cold temperature will allow more COČ to escape from the beer as it cools down.

The reason a bottled beer that's chilled in the fridge absorbs more COČ into suspension is because of the pressure in the bottle and the presence of COČ to obsorb.

I agree 100%. The thing I think this guy is mistaking is that he completely overestimates the amount of CO2 in the headspace at atmospheric. So yes, if you cold crash, some CO2 will be absorbed, but it will be minute numbers. Same as the amount of CO2 absorbed into a glass of water in your fridge.

If CO2 was absorbed, you would be able to fill a fermenter with cold water, fill the headspace with CO2 and cold crash it. After crashing, you will have carbonated water. That just doesn't work like that. CO2 doesn't dissolve in water THAT easily. You have to force it in.

Comment

• I have till now been adding dextrose for bottle priming calculated at 20°C during summer and 15°C during winter and has served me well thus far. Though have to say that after 3weeks + in the bottle the beer does become quite fizzy and one has to be carefull not to pour a glass of foam, but carefully poured leaves a well proptioned glass of head and liquid. That said when I get to the bottom 3rd in the glass the beer has lost most it's foam - but think that is normal.
        Maybe I'll compromise a bit between theory and reality and try 15°C for summer and 10 for winter.. just to try out.
        But then another considderation is .. I use 2.5vols co2 for ales and 2.8 for pilsners / blondes, If there's too much carbonation, then perhaps dial down on the volumes co2.

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
          I have only recently started cold crashing and has done two batches in short succession of one another.

I’ve watched this video and used the cold temp as suggested in the video, but boy did my beer come out flat!! Still deciding if i am going to try and fix it or just drink it as is.

Next time, I will definitely use the warmest temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I only posted this on Friday? ... how can you expect carbonated beer, or when exactly did you bottle and how much did you add. When I used to bottle I never had a problem and if you follow that guys videos, you'll notice he also never having problems. Even if you use less sugar than suggested by the calcs, your beer should be completely flat ??
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I have only recently started cold crashing and has done two batches in short succession of one another.

I’ve watched this video and used the cold temp as suggested in the video, but boy did my beer come out flat!! Still deciding if i am going to try and fix it or just drink it as is.

Next time, I will definitely use the warmest temp.

My recollection is this... Use the highest temperature the beer experiences since active CO2 exposure (ie. fermentation)

That is if you ferment at 20 deg and cold crash to 2 deg, it wont lose CO2 but it also wont gain, so you use 20 deg.
            If you ferment at 10 deg and then let it get to room temperature to 20 deg, then it will lose CO2, so you use 20 deg

This is the theory. It makes sense, but I think empirically it differs a bit. There was a recent thread discussion about this but I cant find it now.

EDIT: Also...
            Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            I agree 100%. The thing I think this guy is mistaking is that he completely overestimates the amount of CO2 in the headspace at atmospheric. So yes, if you cold crash, some CO2 will be absorbed, but it will be minute numbers. Same as the amount of CO2 absorbed into a glass of water in your fridge.

If CO2 was absorbed, you would be able to fill a fermenter with cold water, fill the headspace with CO2 and cold crash it. After crashing, you will have carbonated water. That just doesn't work like that. CO2 doesn't dissolve in water THAT easily. You have to force it in.
            I watched this vid previously on that other thread, and was skeptical about it, because of that. +1
            Langchop
            Last edited by Langchop; 15 February 2021, 09:45.
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
              My recollection is this... Use the highest temperature the beer experiences since active CO2 exposure (ie. fermentation)

That is if you ferment at 20 deg and cold crash to 2 deg, it wont lose CO2 but it also wont gain, so you use 20 deg.
              If you ferment at 10 deg and then let it get to room temperature to 20 deg, then it will lose CO2, so you use 20 deg

This is the theory. It makes sense, but I think empirically it differs a bit. There was a recent thread discussion about this but I cant find it now.
              Exactly, this is what the formula is based on, not on cold crashing or pressurised fermentation etc.

The formula literally requires "peak fermentation temperature" so if your brew hit 28 degrees at its peak due to yeast activity, while in a 20 degree room and you cold crash for 2 weeks at 2 degrees, you should be using 28 degrees as the temperature in the formula.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Yeah I'm thinking S-04 should be a better bet. Let's see how it turns out if I use S-04. Or S-05. Man I dunno.
                Re-evaluated this one over the weekend. I'm going to be pitching the IRA wort straight onto the yeast cake of my current Marzen brew. It's a German Pilsner Yeast (no idea what yeast it is) but it is a pretty clean yeast and I think it'll work really well with the IRA. I'm going to compensate for the malt by mashing higher. Simple.

Comment

• What are you brewing?

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  But I only posted this on Friday? ... how can you expect carbonated beer, or when exactly did you bottle and how much did you add. When I used to bottle I never had a problem and if you follow that guys videos, you'll notice he also never having problems. Even if you use less sugar than suggested by the calcs, your beer should be completely flat ??
                  I know.... bit you’ve posted this same video a while ago. I am new, needs all the help i can get, so while browsing this forum i stumbled across your initial post with the video [emoji1303]

I bottled almost 3 weeks ago, and the second one a week and a half ago. So should have been carbed by now. But its not. Only slightly, uneducated guess id say less than halfway what it should have been.

I dont know why he never has problems, but i will wager his experience is next level, and also his equipment definitely differs from mine.

I agree with [mention]paul.stevens [/mention], [mention]Langchop [/mention] & [mention]Toxxyc [/mention] that there would not be enough pressure in the bucket to ‘force’ it back into the beer when cold crashing, that pressure will escape through the blow off tube anyway.

HAP-BR3W
                  Last edited by HAP-BR3W; 15 February 2021, 10:29.

Comment

• Just a caution if anyone ever want to add marshmallow to the boil to do it in small increments.

I added the lot in scoops (24 in a 9L final batch) and had a huge boil-over as soon as the toasted marshmallows started to dissolve.

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
                      Just a caution if anyone ever want to add marshmallow to the boil
                      Uhm, what? Marshmallow in beer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                        Uhm, what? Marshmallow in beer?
                        Yes, not too uncommon in pastry/dessert stouts. In my case it is a 7% abv Choc Marshmallow stout. There is the option of just adding a vanilla pod in the fermenter as a substitute, but I thought I will try toasted marshmallow.

Comment

• Can't really substitute a toasted marshmallow flavour with something else, when done right it works great.

It's the kind of stout you drink from a small glass with a chocolate brownie for desert

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                            Can't really substitute a toasted marshmallow flavour with something else, when done right it works great.

It's the kind of stout you drink from a small glass with a chocolate brownie for desert

I agree, the substitute is what I would've used for "untoasted" marshmallow. I am in any case going to add vanilla pod after fermentation...must still decide whether to add the pod to the fermenter or make a tincture and just add that.

My worry is how will it mix in evenly as I bottle directly from the fermenter. Would've preferred to keg first and then bottle from the keg, but I don't have a counter pressure bottle filler.

Comment

<>

I agree with [mention]paul.stevens [/mention], [mention]Langchop [/mention] & [mention]Toxxyc [/mention] that there would not be enough pressure in the bucket to ‘force’ it back into the beer when cold crashing, that pressure will escape through the blow off tube anyway.

During a cold crash, air is sucked in ... nothing is pushed out. The inside pressure drops and air is sucked it via the airlock.
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
                                I agree, the substitute is what I would've used for "untoasted" marshmallow. I am in any case going to add vanilla pod after fermentation...must still decide whether to add the pod to the fermenter or make a tincture and just add that.

My worry is how will it mix in evenly as I bottle directly from the fermenter. Would've preferred to keg first and then bottle from the keg, but I don't have a counter pressure bottle filler.
                                I make a Vanilla Porter that's quite popular, I've found the best is to make a tincture. I use a nice whiskey which works well with the porter flavours.

I split open the pod, scrape out the seeds into a glass jar, then cut up the pod and add it into the jar too, add enough whiskey or vodka if you prefer to cover the pod and let it soak for a few days. If you want to impart some subtle whiskey flavours add enough to the jar.

I usually do this on brew day and then add the tincture with the pods, seeds and all into the fermenter about a week later, then leave it for another two weeks.

By its nature the beer in your fermenter wants to achieve equilibrium, so without stirring, given enough time, the vanilla flavour will be fully absorbed in the beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X