Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finished brewing my Bastard Dubbel today. brew day went alot better than last time, and I have finally got my boil off rate dialed in. I boil off exactly 5L per hour.

I still need to build my SCR but hopefully I can tame the excessive boil and lower the rate of boil off.. not that I mind at the moment it should help with efficiency.

Tried fitting the SCR into my PID Controller but there is zero space left. I will have to build a new simple unit that can house it.

Comment

• Dont forget the relay for the controller if not in already

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        finished brewing my Bastard Dubbel today. brew day went alot better than last time, and I have finally got my boil off rate dialed in. I boil off exactly 5L per hour.

I still need to build my SCR but hopefully I can tame the excessive boil and lower the rate of boil off.. not that I mind at the moment it should help with efficiency.

Tried fitting the SCR into my PID Controller but there is zero space left. I will have to build a new simple unit that can house it.

===============
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

and I have finally got my boil off rate dialed in. I boil off exactly 5L per hour.
          This will change, and keep that in mind. Different temperatures and humidity (keeping elevation the same) makes a difference in this.

Comment

• Seeing that it is March - I'm busy brewing a Marzen now.. Started late today .. round 1-isch.. into the boil now..

EDIT: I wanted to reuse my w34/70 I had stashed in the fridge but when I took it out it had white scum stuff on top and smelled metallic - so I ditched it and used the S23 I used for the Castle Lite brew.. ag ja. Should be similar but not as clean tasting as the w34/70
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 2 March 2021, 20:08.

Comment

• Hopefully (finally) brewing my Irish Red tomorrow. I absolutely can't wait. I've decided to swap out my roasted malts for CaraAroma as well. It's a deep red malt and hits those malty notes you want in the IRA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Hopefully (finally) brewing my Irish Red tomorrow. I absolutely can't wait. I've decided to swap out my roasted malts for CaraAroma as well. It's a deep red malt and hits those malty notes you want in the IRA.
                This one also on my to-do list..

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  Hopefully (finally) brewing my Irish Red tomorrow. I absolutely can't wait. I've decided to swap out my roasted malts for CaraAroma as well. It's a deep red malt and hits those malty notes you want in the IRA.
                  I am unsure what to use with mine. I have some CaraRed, CaraMunich II, CaraAamber, Roasted Barley and Melanoidin.

Comment

• I love a malty IRA (I love malty beers in general), so I'd go with CaraRed and Melanoidin, TBH.

EDIT: On that note, I have some CaraHell incoming, so maybe that'll work as well. Notes on CaraHell looks like sweet, malty and light caramel while improving body, mouthfeel and foam. Maybe I'll add some of that as well. I think this is going to be a great beer, although recipe changes every time I think about brewing it.
                    Toxxyc
                    Last edited by Toxxyc; 3 March 2021, 10:36.

Comment

• I always have some CaraHell on hand ... Like to add it to my Blondes and Pales
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I think I'd like to do a Vienna with CaraHell sometime. Think it'll highlight my favourite parts in a beer, as I've found 100% Vienna a bit "bready" for my taste at some times. As such I've taken to doing a 50/50 Vienna/Pale malt split, but pale malt contributes a kind of dry astringency in all the beers I made where I aim for a higher FG in the end. I don't know why.

Comment

• This weekend I'm thinking of trying a Passion fruit infused pale ale. I figured why not since passion fruit are back in season and my malts will finally arrive this afternoon after completing 3,663km journey to reach me. Yup 3,600km, y'all better appreciate your LHBS!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• thats crazy must have cost a packet to get it all the way up there.

Comment

thats crazy must have cost a packet to get it all the way up there.
                              Not at bad as you might think. I got 4x 25kg malt sacks but let's calculate of one. a 25kg sack CPT - JHB is around R100 ish I think , JHB - LSK 17% of total cost ~ R59.5. LSK - Mfuwe ~ K50 (R40) so I got a europmalt 25kg Pale for R 350 ish. total cost is R550. so R22 a kg.. lighter stuff is cheaper mostly due to the SA courier price.

Comment

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
                                groenspookasem
                                Banned
                                Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:39.

Comment

Working...
                                X