This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    OK so I pitched on Monday evening. For some reason there's not much activity yet (no krauzen or anything). I don't remember the lag phase being this long with S-189 in the past...?
    It's not long? Monday evening was just a few hours ago
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

OK so I pitched on Monday evening. For some reason there's not much activity yet (no krauzen or anything). I don't remember the lag phase being this long with S-189 in the past...?
      Mmm.. I'm planning my Castle Lite brew for tomorrow. So yesterday late pm boiled up some DME for a starter and pitched S23 early evening .. this morning it's at full ferment.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        It's not long? Monday evening was just a few hours ago
        It's like 36 hours, and I have to add I pitched a large S-189 yeast colony. I took the previously harvested yeast cake, poured off the clear liquid on top of the yeast, added half a teaspoon of Fermaid-O and then filled the jar to the top with wort used to do gravity readings (in sanitized cylinder with sanitized hydrometer). The "starter" bubbled and smelled amazing when I pitched it, so it's not like it should be taking this long. I'll take a look when I get home this afternoon again though. I'm just worried I can't see ANYTHING on the beer in the fermenter (I can see through the lid).

It's sealed properly and constantly at around 13°C so it's not like it's too cold either.

EDIT: To clarify/add to this, I pitched 10g of S-04 into 20l of fresh wort at the same time, and that thing is fermenting like a beast.

Comment

• What did you put in that lager? You know drain cleaner isnt fermentable. ;p

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            What did you put in that lager? You know drain cleaner isnt fermentable. ;p

I'm a tad lost, you should explain a bit more for me please

Comment

• Just a joke! I dont get how you can take a yeast cake showing signs of active fermentation, pour it into sugar water (wort) and then have nothing happen. I dont know anything about lagers and fermentation at 13C but i know that even ale yeast keeps carbing up bottles in a fridge over time. And a few pineapple beer brewers have the proof on their walls and ceilings.
              So did you gooi camden tablets or something?

Comment

• No there was just a crapload of foam from the sanitizer in the fermenter before I poured in the wort, but that wouldn't be it. I'm sure it's just busy doing it's thing slowly. I remember it fermenting my pilsner pretty slowly as well, I think it took almost 2 weeks to get to where I wanted it.

EDIT: Shit, that's not S-189. I thought I used S-189 but I didn't. I read in the other thread just now that I used NFP's in-house German Pilsner yeast to make my pils with, and that's what I pitched into the Marzen! I'll have to turn down the temp ASAP, as that yeast's temp range is 7°C to 13°C! I forgot and only just now saw it in my thread on the Pils. Damnit!

Should be fine, as the yeast should do well in the Marzen.
                Toxxyc
                Last edited by Toxxyc; 3 February 2021, 15:26.

Comment

No there was just a crapload of foam from the sanitizer in the fermenter before I poured in the wort, but that wouldn't be it. I'm sure it's just busy doing it's thing slowly. I remember it fermenting my pilsner pretty slowly as well, I think it took almost 2 weeks to get to where I wanted it.

EDIT: Shit, that's not S-189. I thought I used S-189 but I didn't. I read in the other thread just now that I used NFP's in-house German Pilsner yeast to make my pils with, and that's what I pitched into the Marzen! I'll have to turn down the temp ASAP, as that yeast's temp range is 7°C to 13°C! I forgot and only just now saw it in my thread on the Pils. Damnit!

Should be fine, as the yeast should do well in the Marzen.
                  You're stressing for nothing. RDWHAHB
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Good luck with your marzen! Mine's on day 3 after pitching a 40 day old Nottingham cake from the fridge. Small ring of krausen present. The previous fermentation for this yeast was also very slow with almost now visible signs so not too phased.

IMG_20210203_112730.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      You're stressing for nothing. RDWHAHB
                      Heh. Well I turned it down. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

Comment

Heh. Well I turned it down. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.
                        There's no krauzen but there's definitely fermentation. I worked carefully yesterday and I couldn't help it and opened the fermenter to take a closer look. It looks like a slow bubbling from the bottom of the vessel is happening, almost like someone dropped and effervescent tablet in there. It smells of CO2, but there's very little airlock activity (I know, I know). Overall smells good. I closed it up again and that same "creamy" layer on top (looks like rehydrated yeast, actually) is fuller today. Same colour (didn't open the fermenter).

Shaking the fermenter a bit from side to side releases some CO2 and moves the mampoer in the airlock a tiny bit, but no bubbles yet.

At least it's going. I have no idea where it's going to, but it's going. Doesn't look like infection at all (wort surface is nice and creamy, and free from funny growths and stuff). Chamber is set so 9.5°C. Let's see how it does.

Comment

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
                          groenspookasem
                          Banned
                          Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:43.

Comment

• The Marzen I was worried about is fermenting well now. Slow. Very slow. But it ferments. It has a THICK, rich and creamy krauzen on the top of the beer, foamier than I've ever seen on one of my beers, but it smells really good and I'm really happy with it. Now just to wait.

Comment

• Bottling my Marzen today
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Seems to be marzen season

Mine's also going along nicely. On day 7 and at 1.020 and tasting yummy. Only 4 more points to go. Started upping the temp yesterday.
                                2.jpg
                                1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X