X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
    I also dumped my cube in the pool and let it float to cool down
    Great move there! The pool s a great source for cooling down wort, and it's surprising how quickly the wort actually cools down in the pool as well.

Comment

• Yeah after you guys' comments, I'll be cooling my wort in the pool in summer (when it's set up) as well.

Onto the topic - last night I stripped my rum, will be doing a spirit run tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm also hoping to get my Helles out of the fermenter and into the lagering cube, after which I'll be pouring my IRA straight onto the yeast cake. I simply cannot wait for that IRA.

Comment

Yeah so I carried on as is. OG ended up just 1 point higher than projected so not too bad. Just concerned with the higher temps and how that affected isomerization. Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk. I also dumped my cube in the pool and let it float to cool down. Pitched onto the newly vacated yeast cake about 2 hrs later.
        https://brulosophy.com/2018/08/13/ma...iment-results/
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Thanks!

Love these guys.. they have exbeeriments for just about everything.

Comment

Thanks!

They are great at disproving a lot of the 'known truths' about brewing, I just wish they'd learn stats

Comment

Making my 2nd batch of Cali.. walked away durng mash and when I came back the element was on. Temp was reading high 70s... *fail*

Pre boil gravity should be 1.047 and I only got to 1.040 Guessing I left fermentable sugars in there?

I already started upping temp to boil. How to continue ? Guessing just carry on and have a lower ABV beer?
              You could have just added some sugar to the boil.. 250gr / 5gals is good. This will boost your SG by approx 5 points. Also the sugar will drop your FG closer to where it's suppose to be.

Your intended beer should have been OG1.047, FG1.010 = 4.85% beer.

Now with the higher mashing temps you might finish on 1.015 (guessing)
              OG1.040, FG1.015 = 3.2% beer.

Adding the sugar should have you ending up closer to your intended ABV..

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, love the work they do, so much so that I actually mailed them about our 30minute boil head retention discussion we had recently. I asked them to check head retention in a 60min boil vs a 30 min boil. They did say that they will keep it in mind when they do a boil length xBmt in future, but effectively gave me a cold shoulder. Who knows, they may relook it in future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                  Yes, love the work they do, so much so that I actually mailed them about our 30minute boil head retention discussion we had recently. I asked them to check head retention in a 60min boil vs a 30 min boil. They did say that they will keep it in mind when they do a boil length xBmt in future, but effectively gave me a cold shoulder. Who knows, they may relook it in future.
                  Yea, they more into blindfold tests, and with a head retention boil test, it's more of a "brew and see" and they probably figure you can do that yourself
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Bottled 40litres of my Centennial Blonde yesterday..

Today, brewing Mad Giant's Killer Hop .. pitching the US05 from the Blonde staight into the Killer. Been a while since I did that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                      Bottled 40litres of my Centennial Blonde yesterday..

Today, brewing Mad Giant's Killer Hop .. pitching the US05 from the Blonde staight into the Killer. Been a while since I did that one.
                      Getting thirsty just hearing about those beers

Comment

• Brewed a Belgian Dubbel on Saturday. Used Sothern Aroma and Hersbrucker.
                        Mashed low at 62C as I wanted a more fermentable bear, yeast attenuation 75%.
                        Aiming for about 80 - 85%. Think I will get it, kruasen was coming out of airlock yesterday, all settled now.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
                          Brewed a DIPA for my Father in law, got a beautiful colour, with an SG of 1.084.
                          Bittered with a touch of Magnum and then 10 min and whirlpool additions of Southern Passion and Southern Tropic.
                          Pitched Midtbust Kveik yesterday, usually the krausen has formed by now, but there's nothing.
                          I had 4 days of no power, thanks to Eksdom not been in a hurry to repair a simple line fault, even though I ran the generator a few times a day, the yeast may have warmed up. Would that have killed the yeast (liquid yeast). I thought the Kveiks were hardier than that.
                          I had my water analysed recently so used brewing chemicals for the first time too, hopefully the beer will start fermenting later today, otherwise I'll have to pitch a pouch of Ale #4 yeast
                          Where did you get the water analysis done?
                          I see Amathole Water has a lab division, was going to try them but Im sure they will have no idea what Im talking about!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                            Where did you get the water analysis done?
                            I see Amathole Water has a lab division, was going to try them but Im sure they will have no idea what Im talking about!
                            I got one of our local agric supply companies to send the water away to be analysed. They send it to SGS in Somerset West. There is a company in EL that I was going to use, but local was more convenient. I think they are Monitor Labs, in Southernwood.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• I just seen you guys are from my hood. Rocket boy I'm also in EL. Yes monitor labs in southern wood do it for about R1800.
                              I just buy RO/filtered water to be safer

Comment

• Test your own water for R1,800 which is not going to be perfect for the future anyway (because our water contents vary greatly), or buy 1,800 litres of RO drinking water.

Yeah I'd rather buy the water, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X