This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Reason behind the Erythritol ? ... I take it it doesn't ferment out?
    Thought I would give it a try. It is non fermenteble sugar and natural sweetner.
    I have used it to back sweeten cider for my wife.
    Would have gone with lactose but not available in my area.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
      Didnt realise MJ made a specific yeast thats pretty cool.

At the moment I am torn but lalbrew

Windsor
      Nottingham
      London

Any ideas which would be a good match?

Also have S04
      so Windsor and London don't ferment maltotriose, so you need to mash low and add about 10% of your grist as table sugar based on the research I did, to get it to finish with a decent fg.

notty is a beast and is similiar to s4 it is light on esters.

Windsor also in typical British fashion can end at 1.02 and requires rousing and a temp bump to keep going as it will flocculate and just quit, it can then randomly restart after 2 weeks.

personally when I did my research for my next Red ale went with London as it is a middle of the road between Windsor and London.

Comment

• Thanks for that!

I am a little confused on what seems to be conflicting info on yeast to use. I read the BYO article and it tends to point to a neutral yeast so am I correct in saying Nottingham would be pref? Or would London at a lower temp work better (taking into account what you said). Its a style im totally unfamiliar with never even having seen on in real life

Comment

• This is for the scottish heavy? I took a look at the style guidelines the guide says between 3 and 3.9% ABV.

I wouldnt use notty here. You are going to need what Windsor and London bring to the table to fill in the blanks with the extreme low amount of malt.

I would actually use Windsor/London here personally you want something that will leave alot behind otherwise you are going to end up with a watery beer I think.

Comment

Also have S04
            S-04 fermented cool can be really, really clean. Pitch sufficient yeast and ferment at 16°C for 2 weeks and I've found that to be even close to lager yeasts.

For a clean true lager yeast you can try Diamond, but you have to pitch a lot to prevent bready flavours. That'll make it expensive. They're over R80 a packet now already.

Comment

• Correct Scottish heavy, thanks will look at either of those then and see how it goes.

Comment

Didnt realise MJ made a specific yeast thats pretty cool.

At the moment I am torn but lalbrew

Windsor
                Nottingham
                London

Any ideas which would be a good match?

Also have S04
                Personaly I would use Nottingham
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                  Personaly I would use Nottingham

experiment time then I think I will split the batch and do 1 with Nottingham and the other with Windsor/London
                  Snyper564
                  Last edited by Snyper564; 12 July 2021, 13:19.

Comment

• Last try at an Irish Red Ale.

Went with the brewing classic styles recipe and did a ton of extra research so hope it comes out. We will see.

I have added an extra step to my process a pour over sparge and I managed to get my effieciency up to 75% so getting there

Screenshot_20210713-113055_Brewfather.jpg

Comment

• Today brewing the Goose Island IPA. Some caramba beer for this cold weather .. i.e. numb the pain.
                      Mix of US and UK hops recommended with S-04. Mmm.. should be interesting.
                      IG IPA.jpg

Comment

• Damn 'Reply With Quote' not working..

@Jitters .. I see you adding some table sugar - is this normal for the style?
                        .. and hopstand @77°C .. why not just at 80 - just curious.. (coz I usually start whirlpooling @85, then 20mins later she's around 75 isch)

Comment

• What goes wrong with your IRA each time, Jitters?

Comment

• ^ i see you're still using Polyclar ....

I've stopped and only use gelatin added to keg and found the polyclar to just be a waste of money
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• yeah qoute's screwed again.

I don't whirlpool it's just in there for my no chill cube. I just haven't ever edited it from what they recommended on some web site way back when.
                              The sugar was recommended a few times on HBT when working with London ESB yeast to help it finish at a decent FG as it can't ferment maltotriose.

My main issue with IRA's so for has been that they finish way high, like 1.02-1.03. It has a cloying sweetness that was just nasty and did not taste like an IRA at all. that's why I mashed for 90 minutes at 63 and then 70, and I added a bit of sugar to help to try and dry it out.

I like the Polycar it's been reducing my chill haze and helped with getting a few nice and clear beers. Ill try again in a bit to see if there's a difference if I use it or not, for now I have it so will use it till it's finished. it does work a lot better than irish moss for me tho.

Comment

• Perhaps you should try a tried-and-tested recipe? Have you calibrated or checked your thermometers against another to make sure it measures OK? 1.03 is WAAAY high for any beer to finish. I like a sweet beer but that's a bit over the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X