Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, same here, buckets without taps. I don't sample at all, and if there's spare cash lying around (hahaha) I want to get a tilt hydrometer for automated gravity readings via wifi or Bluetooth. There's more important things to do now though.

The kveik is from Voss, Sigmund Gjernes shared the strain. I have a fresh batch en route. Do check out @liquidcultureyeast on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
      The last couple months is the first time I'm really getting my teeth stuck in brewing some lagers. I ferment in fridges with temp controllers, yes. My fermenters are simply the normal white buckets with space for airlock or blow-off tube in lid, I don't add taps in my fermenters as I don't think it's really necessary when using an auto siphon for transferring beer after fermentation and would complicate cleaning/sanitation a bit, as well as future use of bucket if de-commissioned after some time. For the most part, I don't really take much samples during fermentation and try to keep them closed up. Only tested the light lager because of my curiosity. To take sample without tap, I just use the main tube of the auto siphon as a wine thief.
      I've also gone this route as of this year & hardly ever open them up.

I just wish I had a bigger fermentation chamber .... would love to do about 4 buckets at once.

(Did an outside the chamber brew a while back and could tell it wasn't a controlled fermentation)
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

(Did an outside the chamber brew a while back and could tell it wasn't a controlled fermentation)
        Yeah, got a 60l Spiegel fermeter that I still need to take for a spin. Luckily it will fit in the fridge. Thinking I'll put a nice pale ale in there for the summer heat.

Comment

• Allright, doing an American amber ale this weekend, tri and dry hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Centennial 100g hop bill, low IBU, castle malting pale, vienna and some cara amber. Expecting a 1,050 OG with safale us05. I need a stir bar to get my Voss kveik going, so saving that for the digital ipa on next brewday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• 2 Early morning brewdays coming up, max temp predicted 37°C for both days. Im brewing a German Pilsner today and a 4% Lager tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• A little late in the process for this brew. Got my MBFIAB Mad Giant Killer Hop Clone on the go about 10 days ago. Upped the temp from 18 to 20 deg last night for diacetyl rest and popped the lid to dry hop the Citra. Damn it still smells amazing. I understand why everyone has raved about this one. I "AcCiDeNtAlLy" dropped in too much hops. Soooo looking forward to this beer.
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                I "AcCiDeNtAlLy" dropped in too much hops. Soooo looking forward to this beer.
                nice one
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

A little late in the process for this brew. Got my MBFIAB Mad Giant Killer Hop Clone on the go about 10 days ago. Upped the temp from 18 to 20 deg last night for diacetyl rest and popped the lid to dry hop the Citra. Damn it still smells amazing. I understand why everyone has raved about this one. I "AcCiDeNtAlLy" dropped in too much hops. Soooo looking forward to this beer.
                  Really loving brewing at the moment. It's just easier than its ever been. Bottled the Killer Hop tonight and the aromas were out of this world.

Recall my accidental overhop? Hops everywhere!:
                  IMG_20181115_221943.jpg

And I have lately been thinking up a nice citrussy, IPAey, Spicey brew for our summer Xmas... This smelt so good on the citrussy side I decided to do a little tester of adding pimento allspice and some 'mixed spices' (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon) to two of the bottles just to see how this whole combination of flavours go together:
                  Screenshot_20181115-221024.jpg

IMG_20181115_221100.jpg
                  Langchop
                  Last edited by Langchop; 15 November 2018, 22:35.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• I brewed a rye ale last week.

OG was a lower than expected, but I blame old pale malt. 1034. Hopefully the rye and caramel rye will give the beer a rye taste.

I will be brewing a Belgian Dubbel soon. I recently learnt that it goes really well with a braai, but the really nice ones are no longer imported into SA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                      I will be brewing a Belgian Dubbel soon. I recently learnt that it goes really well with a braai, but the really nice ones are no longer imported into SA.
                      Will you take it to league tasting or not? Or do we have to blackmail you to come and visit?

Comment

Really loving brewing at the moment. It's just easier than its ever been. Bottled the Killer Hop tonight and the aromas were out of this world.

Recall my accidental overhop? Hops everywhere!:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]1796[/ATTACH]

And I have lately been thinking up a nice citrussy, IPAey, Spicey brew for our summer Xmas... This smelt so good on the citrussy side I decided to do a little tester of adding pimento allspice and some 'mixed spices' (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon) to two of the bottles just to see how this whole combination of flavours go together:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]1797[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1798[/ATTACH]
                        How many packets of yeast did you use? I see the recipe says "1.98l starter or 3 packets if no starter is used". Not sure if I am not reading that correctly.
                        "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
                          How many packets of yeast did you use? I see the recipe says "1.98l starter or 3 packets if no starter is used". Not sure if I am not reading that correctly.
                          I didnt see that anywhere in the recipe, but just used one 11.5g pack. It was a 15L ferment batch tho.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A little late in the process for this brew. Got my MBFIAB Mad Giant Killer Hop Clone on the go about 10 days ago. Upped the temp from 18 to 20 deg last night for diacetyl rest and popped the lid to dry hop the Citra. Damn it still smells amazing. I understand why everyone has raved about this one. I "AcCiDeNtAlLy" dropped in too much hops. Soooo looking forward to this beer.
                            IMG_20181125_073126.jpg

Had an earlyish taster of this last night in conjunction with the real deal. Obviously mine is more hazy still and probably will be for a good while. Carbonation wise a little quieter than I expected but hopefully will build a bit more in the coming days and weeks. Flavour wise, it is very close to the Mad Giant but a bit of a mangoey taste together with a good punch of a mangoey aroma. Slightly green tasting still but will see how that cleans up over a bit of time. Overall quite happy.

Going to try the spiced one in a few days.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1804[/ATTACH]

Had an earlyish taster of this last night in conjunction with the real deal. Obviously mine is more hazy still and probably will be for a good while. Carbonation wise a little quieter than I expected but hopefully will build a bit more in the coming days and weeks. Flavour wise, it is very close to the Mad Giant but a bit of a mangoey taste together with a good punch of a mangoey aroma. Slightly green tasting still but will see how that cleans up over a bit of time. Overall quite happy.

Going to try the spiced one in a few days.
                              Send me your recipe, I can maybe ask Eben or Veronica how close you are........

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                                Send me your recipe, I can maybe ask Eben or Veronica how close you are........
                                Thanks Jakes but not to worry. I never specifically want to make an exact clone but rather just hit the same ballpark plus my own little equipment or stylistic quirks. I used the published recipe from on here but already know went a little exessive on the mash temps and dry hopping.
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X