Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewed two beers on the weekend. MASSIVE thanks to The Flying Brew for all the advice and the yeast cake.

IMG_20190309_183338.jpg

1: Hefe-Weisse: A bit darker than planned but I have high hopes for this

IMG_20190310_093244.jpg

2: Killerhop clone: Went rather well, added a bit too much bittering hops but should be ok.
    "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• Im brewing something a little bigger for winter

I also brewed a parti-gyle Helles/Bock Amber Lager from the spent grains (added Pilsner and Vienna) for a bonus beer with a 1.060 OG
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 19 March 2019, 14:47.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Burton IPA (East Kent Goldings) and Vienna lager (Tetnang) on the way

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• well I have a glut of Vienna and Munich pale malts so we're going to experiment with finding the best Blonde In The World.

Comment

• Originally posted by billionairebum View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1907[/ATTACH]

2: Killerhop clone: Went rather well, added a bit too much bittering hops but should be ok.

I look forward to your feedback on this. Have some tasters while its very fresh.
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I brewed a blonde ale today but I didn't enjoy this brew day at all. I had to time my gap between loadshedding and our water being turned off from about 10:00 to 16:00 every day. I am now waiting for the power to come back on at 20:30 so that I can finnish cleaning up. At least the brew is in the fermentation fridge now. I suppose that is a positive.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Belgian Dark Strong. I almost hit the 1. 100 mark this time

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                  Belgian Dark Strong. I almost hit the 1. 100 mark this time

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
                  Bliksem! Mashing must have been a nightmare?

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
                    Yep... been down that road.
                    Mashing is easy. Its getting the wort out of that mash... that is where the trick lies.
                    So much grain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
                      Its like Crafty mentioned mashing these big beers is not the problem its getting the wort out of the mash that's key. I BIAB and put the bag on top of a weber braai grid over the kettle allowing me to drain the brag properly and also squeeze the bag a little.

Here's a few general tips from what I have learned from mashing big beers If some of the guys want to try to brew something bigger than normal.

Double crush if you can to make sure you get a fairly fine crush ensuring good fluid contact.Controlling the pH is crucial for good conversion. Constant stirring or circulation helps a lot.Be patient when draining the wort from the mash
                      Your efficiency will take a hit when mashing these big beers so set your normal efficiency about 10% lower in Beersmith if you want to get close or hit 1.100. Aiming 5 OG points higher than what the recipe predicts should get you there safely, well most of the times.
                      Using some drymalt extract and various sugars as part of the recipe can help a lot to save on mashing space and increase the OG. (Use caution)

Please feel free to add, Im sure there is somebody out there that brewed a few monster beers with some tips and tricks that can help
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 14 April 2019, 21:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                        Its like Crafty mentioned mashing these big beers is not the problem its getting the wort out of the mash that's key. I BIAB and put the bag on top of a weber braai grid over the kettle allowing me to drain the brag properly and also squeeze the bag a little.

Here's a few general tips from what I have learned from mashing big beers I some of the guys want to try to brew something bigger than normal.

Double crush if you can to make sure you get a fairly fine crush ensuring good fluid contact.Controlling the pH is crucial for good conversion. Constant stirring or circulation helps a lot.Be patient when draining the wort from the mash
                        Your efficiency will take a hit when mashing these big beers so set your normal efficiency about 10% lower in Beersmith if you want to get close or hit 1.100. Aiming 5 OG points higher than what the recipe predicts should het you there safely, well most of the times.
                        Using some drymalt extract and various sugars as part of the recipe can help a lot to save on mashing space and increase the OG. (Use caution)

Please feel free to add, Im sure there is somebody out there that brewed a few monsters before that has more tips and tricks that can help

Some interesting tips there. Thanks Harhm

Comment

• Doing our biggest BIAB batch at the moment: 90L strike water, 15kg grainbill.

65L Cali Common for the Meerhof Beer Run.

Will be doing a German Blonde tomorrow, also 65L.

What is a German Blonde? Lots of Munich and Vienna pale malt..............

Comment

• BIAB Cali Common 65L Pic 1.jpegBIAB Cali Common 65L Pic 2.jpeg

This is what it looks like

Comment

• Are you doing Northern Brewer only?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                                Are you doing Northern Brewer only?
                                yes I was........but I had to add Nugget because I didn't have enough..........

German Blonde is up next:

SAB Pale
                                Munich
                                Pils
                                Wheat
                                Mandarina
                                Citra

Comment

Working...
                                X