Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braailus, my reply to your comment might sound a bit hostile, it's not, btw...

I'm sure it will be alright...

Wanted to use some Maris Otter for it, but could not justify paying R36/kg for it, and I needed 5KG of it...

Comment

• Have a look @ your mash profile rather than your equipment profile (No problems there)

note a full body mash profile requires higher mash temps than a light body mash. In mash profile also check grain temp.

I have also noticed up to a 4C difference in strike h2o temp if the Ajust temp for equip tab is selected in mash profile or not.

It also seems that Beersmith will auto select the Ajust temp for equip tab when you have de-activated it but change from a light to med body mash
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 6 October 2015, 12:08.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Just kegged 60 liters of Irish red ale, but it's brown? The rest of the figures are spot on, SG from 1.052 to 1.016. But it's brown [emoji16]

Comment

• Originally posted by Apocalypse Boy View Post
          Just kegged 60 liters of Irish red ale, but it's brown? The rest of the figures are spot on, SG from 1.052 to 1.016. But it's brown [emoji16]
          Brown is pretty close to red(copper) on the SRM scale. If this is an all extract beer then it would make sense that it is darker than red. The heating process to create wort extract creates meanoidins that darkens the beer. The little water present in wort extract also tends to make the wort darker as it ages.

source: http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/08/16...-beer-brewing/
          Primary: APA
          Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
          Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
          Next up: world domination

Comment

• Fnck the colour man .... does it taste like beer?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Fnck the colour man .... does it taste like beer?
              I agree
              Just call it your Taned Red Ale and enjoy it.
              Harhm
              Last edited by Harhm; 7 October 2015, 11:45.
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• what are you brewing?

Still needs to cool and carb a bit to up the crispness, 1'st one tasted like beer, but after 6 it still tastes like beer, I just had to make sure [emoji3]
                Apocalypse Boy
                Last edited by Apocalypse Boy; 7 October 2015, 20:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                  I agree
                  Just call it your Taned Red Ale and enjoy it.
                  Or African red ale...... Oops PIC?

Comment

• Mash water for a pale ale heating up as I'm typing this

Comment

• Brewed another batch of red ale this week. We now have an Dunkel, Ginger beer and Frankenpils conditioning and a stout and Red ale fermenting. Tick tick...

Comment

• Originally posted by Braailus View Post
                        Brewed another batch of red ale this week. We now have an Dunkel, Ginger beer and Frankenpils conditioning and a stout and Red ale fermenting. Tick tick...
                        Are you thirsty?

Comment

• Indeed[emoji51]

Comment

• We met up with some of our Worthog club friends yesterday at the Ale House.

Elbie's Hoppy Blond was a hit, we only have about 5L left from the 30L we took with.

Was also my first attempt at kegging and dispensing and I loved it, it's a bloody sight easier than bottling.

I spent last Thursday and Friday nights filtering and kegging and removing spears and having beer showers.

Downside is that my stout is a write-off. Seems like some infection during or after fermentation. 40L of dry Irish stout ready for the drain, it's so sour I don't even want to distill it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                              We met up with some of our Worthog club friends yesterday at the Ale House.

Elbie's Hoppy Blond was a hit, we only have about 5L left from the 30L we took with.

Was also my first attempt at kegging and dispensing and I loved it, it's a bloody sight easier than bottling.

I spent last Thursday and Friday nights filtering and kegging and removing spears and having beer showers.

Downside is that my stout is a write-off. Seems like some infection during or after fermentation. 40L of dry Irish stout ready for the drain, it's so sour I don't even want to distill it.
                              Simon, Atron and now you? Why are the infected beers on the rise?

+1 on the kegging. Yesterday I brewed and kegged at the same time. I would never have done that while bottling. In my previous batch I made too much for a single corney so I had to bottle about 4 440mL bottles and add exactly 2.5g dextrose in each. I'm pretty sure they are going to be under-carbed.

Comment

• What is the pot ABV and volume of the stout?

Comment

Working...
                                X