This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rory. View Post
    Just finished brewing an Oatmeal Stout for a boys "trout and stout" weekends fishing in a few weeks time, also have 50l bitter busy conditioning.
    My kind of weekend..

Comment

• what are you brewing?

Just put the 2 fermenters in the fridge last night. Golden ale with speciality malts
      Irish stout with some black malt in the fermenter.
      Both are being attenuated with Belgian ale yeast.
      I may have messed up the stout. But before i say anything else, i will see how it develops. Will post in what have you learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 1st line of suspicion confirmed.
        Golden ale is bubbling away, stout is static. Exact same yeast, tightly sealed fv.

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
          1st line of suspicion confirmed.
          Golden ale is bubbling away, stout is static. Exact same yeast, tightly sealed fv.

Sugar, oxygen and nitrogen is different. Have patience.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
          Primary: APA
          Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
          Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
          Next up: world domination

Comment

• Originally posted by DieBaas View Post

Never made a stout before, so i'm not stressing yet.
            The mistakes I made.
            Forgot to sterilize the stout fermenter. However, it was brand new, and installed your brand new airlock with insulation tape. Also it was filled with ozone water, so should be clean. 2nd mistake. The water used to rehydrate the yeast was possibly too cold.

I've pitched new yeast. Did not rehydrate.

Comment

• RDWHAHB - I know of some Austratians that ferment in the same type of containers .... they never ever sanitize (I see you mention sterilize) and they ferment with just the cap sitting loosely on the opening (No Airlock) .... their beer turns out perfect, batch after batch, year after year. Im sure you'll be fine.
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Rum & Raisin Brewdog Clone stout (the MF Stout) was kegged on Sunday.

All I can say is WOW. We surpassed our expectations as it fermented @ 15degC for the first 2 weeks so we lost a lot of the fruity notes but it's still very very nice and will get better with time.

Now we need to see how the 100L version did @ Copperlake under Brendan's eagle eye.
                came second

Not so bad on our first attempt at that recipe

will try with some rolled oats and some prunes next time

Just waiting for the BJCP scoresheets so I can see what the judges thought

Comment

Cool, would be good to get their feedback.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                    Cool, would be good to get their feedback.
                    you'll have to talk to Kaylee about the Easter Rand scores, I dunno who has them

Or Adam

Comment

came second

Not so bad on our first attempt at that recipe

will try with some rolled oats and some prunes next time

Awesome well done, save me a pint
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by DieBaas View Post

I also ferment some of my beers in tandem like that ( normaly @ the lower temp of the yeast to be save ) if its different beers I try to keep the OG close and always use the same yeast for both. Do you no chill to pitch them simultaneously or do a double brewday? How is the Stout doing ?

I brewed Mystic Brew's Raging Red yesterday, will be fermenting it with a ESB
                        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                          Awesome well done, save me a pint
                          I was supposed to give you feedback on your beers but to be honest I can't remember what they were like........we'll have to arrange a GTG.

Comment

• No problem, I have made many changes to my brewing since then.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 14 July 2016, 15:14.

Comment

• Im brewing a lager today, will boil it for 67 min
                              Learned again that 2 kg of boiled rice is a lot of rice
                              2016-07-18 11.11.30.jpg

Comment

• Brewing an Abbey weiss today. Basically a German Weiss recipe with belgian yeast.

Bottled a case of Golden Lager and kegged another 19L. What a bitch to bottle a beer dry hopped with about 60gr of hops, the bottling wand kept getting clogged. Also bottling 5L of mead.
                                Primary: APA
                                Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                                Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                                Next up: world domination

Comment

Working...
                                X