No announcement yet.

Fermentation chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then if I was you I'd also consider neoprene fermenter jackets and water circulation for heating and cooling.......

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      unrelated but my separating funnels arrived today
      Let me know how this goes.

Comment

I often ferment side by side in a 330L chest freezer. My last ferment was 3 x 25L Blonds side by side and have found up to a 4°C difference between wort and ambient temp with a 1.050 ales with SO-5 at high krausen.
        What I do is attach the stc probe to 1 of the fermenters (normaly highest OG) the others will then come along for the ride (normaly within 1 °C)

A fan connected to stc is a must. Found up to 4° difference in my fermentation fridge when I devide it into 2 sections with a shelf. Without a fan I have actualy fermented a Ale on the top shelf at 16° and a Lager at the bottom at 12° Have to add that the cooling pipes in my fermenting fridge are mostly situated in the top half of the fridge.

The fan in my chest feezer is situated low to circulate the coldest air at the bottom although the cooling pipes are all in the sides of the chest freezer I dont think it would make a big difference if you place the fan in the middle.

The fermenting wort for the most part circulates itself so whether you place it high or low on the fermenter shouldnt be a real factor

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 18 January 2019, 15:45.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

My plan is to have a Tilt hydrometer talk to the STC via BrewPi (or just use brewpi) and automate the ferm process based on SG readings and precise temp control. Auto diacetyl rest and cold crashing :-) But I haven't ordered the tilt yet and need to find my Raspberry Pi's - packed somewhere. The STC arrived yesterday and unrelated but my separating funnels arrived today
          Let me know if you find a way for the STC and the Pi to work together as I have not. Wanted to do the BrewPi + solid state relays but I was in a bit of a rush to get a temperature controlled fermentation ready so I got the STC for now.
          "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Yeah, possible to upgrade the firmware on the stc, but I haven't found integration yet. Can use it on the keezer if I upgrade the fermfridge.

I looked at fermentrack that supports the tilt and ispindle with relays to signal heating/cooling, but have not yet spent a bunch of time on research. Would be cool if you could use the temp from the tilt to control the fermfridge.

I do need to ask myself if it's really worth the effort though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I finished hooking up all the pieces and connecting to my new fermfridge, lekker. I want to do a back to back brew to fill her up. I'm thinking a Pilsner and perhaps a Dunkel or Bock? Suggestions welcome !

Comment

I finished hooking up all the pieces and connecting to my new fermfridge, lekker. I want to do a back to back brew to fill her up. I'm thinking a Pilsner and perhaps a Dunkel or Bock? Suggestions welcome !
                Other way round: a parti gyle brew will work.

Mash the Bock, drain off the wort into the kettle, add mash temp water to the spent Bock grain, check the gravity, add pils malt to compensate and you then have a Pils mashing while the Bock is boiling..........

Comment

Parti gyle sounds interesting, but I'm running a GF single vessel mash/boil system. A back to back on the same day will take around 7 hours. I could split it over a weekend, but if everything is set up, I might as well. I'm going to drop temp as much as possible then have the worts stabilise in the fermfridge and pitch yeast when they're both at temp.

I'll spin up a starter with some 34/70 for the Pilsner and wash my Cali Common 34/70 yeast for the Dunkel/Doppelbock/Dark lager. I'm fairly new to lagering and don't have a cache of these yeasts yet. I've heard good things about the S189, but not much experience so....

Comment

GF is an issue. No point in doing a parti gyle then. The old mashed grain will go sour even in a bag in the fridge, not good unless you're into a sour beer.

Comment

Nah GF works a treat for me - I like variety and a keg filled after a brew day is enough of one style, I like to chop and change. Commercially it won't make sense to use a GF (except if you're experimenting perhaps?) I'm quite happy with the volumes that I push, I brew for myself only so all the boxes are ticked.

I had some sour beer before - not a fan, not even remotely. I don't see the attraction, but then there's a market for it which tells me some people actually enjoy it?

Comment

That's were the "Grain Brother" came in, but it has since been discontinued

It's a GF without the malt pipe and chiller ... at ½ the price. So when brew 1 is done mashing, you move the malt pipe over to the GB and start mash No2 (Parti-Gyle or new brew) while the GF starts its boil.

Quick and easy to quickly do 2 brews back2back. I wonder why they've discontinued those units?
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                          Let me know how this goes.
                          I forgot to post this, 2l separatory funnel with clamp, stand, boshead. Beer for scale.

Comment

I forgot to post this, 2l separatory funnel with clamp, stand, boshead. Beer for scale.

I don't even know what you would do with that. You are no longer a home brewer, you are a laboratory scientist!
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Would use it to separate the trub from the yeast and storing in a vial. Not that expensive either, the glassware was around R300. The rest around R500, yep the stand and clamps are more expensive...

Comment

Sorry for the redirect. Has anyone considered a fridge freezer combo. Top for fermentation bottom for keezer? I haven't checked on the lowest settings but there is a good 15c difference between the two at higher settings.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X