Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing dumb things with Keg posts

Howzit!
    So a few weeks ago I stripped my keg down and gave it a thorough clean as it was new to me. but I managed to put the dip tube on the gas post (pin lock) I noticed when I filled the keg last night and added CO2 and could hear the bubbles (feeling pretty stupid at this point). What can I do here? My thoughts are I'll just swap the disconnects around on my co2 tank and tap until I kick the keg. Any unforeseen issues with doing this?

I've also been able to get them the wrong way a few times already. Swapped the posts, works jy fine.

Sent from my SM-A605FN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
      Howzit!
      So a few weeks ago I stripped my keg down and gave it a thorough clean as it was new to me. but I managed to put the dip tube on the gas post (pin lock) I noticed when I filled the keg last night and added CO2 and could hear the bubbles (feeling pretty stupid at this point). What can I do here? My thoughts are I'll just swap the disconnects around on my co2 tank and tap until I kick the keg. Any unforeseen issues with doing this?
      swapping the disconnects is fine, I would not switch the posts personally as I try to limit oxygen as much as possible

Comment

Just purge the excess gas ... remove posts and put it like it should be ... the beer will be fine
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Mybroe
          Mybroe Welcome

Where in the Western Cape are you from?
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Malmesbury

Comment

Originally posted by Mybroe View Post
              Malmesbury
              Lekker man .. jy is dan naby aan my. Ek is in Rondeberg .. 16km Suid van jou

Comment

If you think you can do dumb things with Corney keg posts, wait until you've started working with Sankey couplers. I once had the neighbors look over the wall because the keg full of CO had to be purged. And there's only one way - stick the coupler on top, take it outside and press it down. A fountain of beer and CO2 sprays out the top, making one hell of a noise in the process.

Also, on a Sankey coupler, you have to have something blocking the beer line if you don't want beer to come out, for instance, if you only want to put some CO2 in the keg. The other day I was stabilizing and backsweetening my cider, and I decided I don't want it just lying under atmospheric in the conditioning fridge, I want the cider to at least have some CO2 in there to further prevent spoilage (which it shouldn't, I know, but it's me, I worry about BS).

So I went to the keg, slapped the coupler on there, got out my CO2 cylinder and gas line, plugged it into the coupler and pressed down. I then opened the stop valve to let CO2 run in. I heard a weird noise, like the sound you hear when you listen to the open end of a hosepipe and someone turns on the tap. That same noise. Took me a few milliseconds to realize what the noise was, frantically trying to dislodge the coupler from the keg but it was too late, cider already came spraying out. Took some cleaning up, wife was NOT happy, floor was super sticky.

Comment

I'm somehow visualising this as a Tom and Jerry cartoon, with Tom putting the hose end to his ear to hear the sound, then looking down the hose end to see if anything is coming, and then.....
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    And there's only one way - stick the coupler on top, take it outside and press it down.
                    wrong, this is the dumbass way

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post

wrong, this is the dumbass way
                      LOL I'm not going to deny it. I did it once inside as well, and had to first wash the ceiling and then re-paint it.

Comment

You just use a blunt object to depress the rubber donut on the keg spear..............only gas comes out...........

Comment

I should do that in the future. I had an overcarbonated beer in there as well and struggled my ass off to get the CO2 out of there.

EDIT: And I didn't want to remove the check valve from the JG fitting on the coupler, that was my last resort, but then I just transferred the beer into a corney with a PRV and degassed it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                            You just use a blunt object to depress the rubber donut on the keg spear..............only gas comes out...........
                            Assuming the keg is empty or mostly empty... Just lay it on its side, connect the coupler and press down.. all gas, no beer fountain.

Still aim away from sensitive areas...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                              .. all gas, no beer fountain.

I did that once. Wasn't less than 50%. Luckily I was in the garden...............

Comment

Working...
                              X