Imposabrew!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
    Yes mashing at higher temps will give you a more full bodied beer. The main influence on honey aromas is how late in the process you introduce it.
    Tnx Simon " )[emoji106]

Comment

Hi Simon,
      On the honey, would it then be a good idea to prime with honey? Or would that not add enough honey to bring in aroma and taste?

Comment

Originally posted by ljm109 View Post
        Hi Simon,
        On the honey, would it then be a good idea to prime with honey? Or would that not add enough honey to bring in aroma and taste?
        I love priming with honey so perfectly good. It doesn't add a huge amount. Just subtle aromas, not much flavor.

I have Irish Red Honey ale which I will share. That puts honey in as soon as fermentation slows down. One of my favorites.
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I love priming with honey so perfectly good. It doesn't add a huge amount. Just subtle aromas, not much flavor.

I have Irish Red Honey ale which I will share. That puts honey in as soon as fermentation slows down. One of my favorites.
          Sho ..must be a pretty one aswell.

Comment

Where do we line up for the sharing session?
            Or was that the recipe?
            Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by duff. View Post
              Its for a honey Lager im working on ..so just want my bases covered with all those polysacrites (spelling) and complicated sugars... i want to keep the honey flavours .. so should i focus more on Alpha amylies ? I want to finish around 1.014
              If you want honey flavours, why not use honey malt?

I think Weyermann's Abbey has high honey flavours and aromas. I can't confirm as their site is down and my sheets are at home.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                If you want honey flavours, why not use honey malt?

I think Weyermann's Abbey has high honey flavours and aromas. I can't confirm as their site is down and my sheets are at home.
                Not the same... Can't beat the taste of high quality honey

Comment

Not the same... Can't beat the taste of high quality honey
                  Wouldn't know, only started liking the taste of honey in 2014. Haven't experimented much.

Comment

And we have fynbos honey wich is so uniqe and high quality . Only produced in our little country.

Comment

Hey Simon,
                      How do add the honey? I'd be very interested to throw it in at the end, but.....
                      Firstly I'd be worried about opening the fermenter, for oxygen and contamination?
                      Secondly how do you sterilise the honey, or make sure there are no bugs or nasties?

Comment

Originally posted by ljm109 View Post
                        Secondly how do you sterilise the honey, or make sure there are no bugs or nasties?
                        honey does contain wild yeasts and bacteria which can potentially damage your beer. you could either add the honey in the last ten minutes of the boil or add it after primary fermentation has completed. if you do the latter, simply pasteurise it at about 80°Cfor an hour.
                        that guy al
                        Last edited by that guy al; 10 January 2015, 15:47.

Comment

Imposabrew!!

You pasteurize it it at 65 degrees for 45 minutes. I just do it in the oven in a sealed glass jar.

Allow to cool.

Open the fermenter just before primary is complete and pour in. Bobs your uncle

If you use store bought honey don't bother with the pasteurization

Bear in mind honey contains natural preservatives anyway so the threat of nasties is probably overstated.

Comment

Much appreciated.... will do it that way next time!

Comment

So i did a belgium ale today that worked quite well . This system is going back to the workshop for some upgrades . Did 25 brews on he gal the past 2 months . Shell be getting smaller better faster tho . Will still do small recipes on her tho monday were installing the MB50 and the glycol jacketed tanks whohoo pitching at 6C for lagers ...no problem ..cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by duff. View Post
                                Did 25 brews on he gal the past 2 months .
                                DAMN! That is a lot of brewing! How often do you brew and how many brews per day?

Comment

Working...
                                X