Smokey oaked stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I'd also suggest east kent goldings and or fuggles / willamette and or mt hood. I can't marry fruity hops and a smoky stout in my mind. Hops tend to take the backseat on stouts.
    Absolutely. In fact, hops should be a minimum as the dark roasted malts add a ton of bitterness already. I also can't marry tropical fruit with stout. That's like pineapple, guava and granadilla on a chocolate cake or pineapple juice in coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
      Absolutely. In fact, hops should be a minimum as the dark roasted malts add a ton of bitterness already. I also can't marry tropical fruit with stout. That's like pineapple, guava and granadilla on a chocolate cake or pineapple juice in coffee.

I take it you've never had some pineapple chocolate upside-down cake ?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Heh when I'm stating "fruity", I mean literally just a touch. I was thinking something like 3 or 4 grams are 5minutes just for a tiny hint. But perhaps it's better if I just leave it out completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Heh when I'm stating "fruity", I mean literally just a touch. I was thinking something like 3 or 4 grams are 5minutes just for a tiny hint. But perhaps it's better if I just leave it out completely.
          You could always split some of the batch for a test ?

That's the nice thing about homebrewing ... If you want to add XYZ to your brew, who are we to judge

Comment

That's not the worst idea, but considering how long this will have to sit, I'd hate for it to end up bad and then I've wasted months on it. I think I need to drink some Ardbeg and think it over this weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              I take it you've never had some pineapple chocolate upside-down cake ?

eeeuuuww gross man

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                eeeuuuww gross man

Don't Eeeeuuuwww until you've tasted it ..... with a scoop of ice-cream or whipped cream ... yum-yum

Comment

Tongue in cheek here, how long are you planning to age this stout?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Tongue in cheek here, how long are you planning to age this stout?

4 to 6 months in bulk, and then I'll bottle and probably store a few of them for another year.

Comment

New name, Sweet Patient Peat. To remind you to not open it before then you can put the date on for 'when it's ready'

Comment

Nah if I make it like that, I'm sure I'll leave it sit for a bit. That's why I'm making it now. A 10% stout isn't really a summer drink... :P

Comment

Hats off to the people with patience, the longest I have had a beer in the bottle is 4 weeks and then it was a lager.
                          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I don't generally have patience, that's why this is going to be a fun one to try and do.

Comment

Anybody up for a wager here? Toxxyc cracks that beer well before 6 months to 'test' ?

Comment

Anybody up for a wager here? Toxxyc cracks that beer well before 6 months to 'test' ?
                                Haha, if the whiskey thread is any indication, I bet there's none left after 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X