No Chill Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
    Wow, you are right after looking around for bits and pieces that I can use I realised that I might be able to build a stir plate for less than R300, It could be one of the chiepest pieces of equipment that can make a huge difference.
    i don't wanna say i told you so but... i told you so.

Comment

Wow, you are right after looking around for bits and pieces that I can use I realised that I might be able to build a stir plate for less than R300, It could be one of the chiepest pieces of equipment that can make a huge difference.
      Just build one with a lm317 cause you are going to upgrade to one and it is better to spend the extra few bucks up front.
      Primary: APA
      Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
      Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
      Next up: world domination

Comment

How do you build a stir plate and what is lm317?

Comment

Originally posted by wetdog View Post
          How do you build a stir plate and what is lm317?

Many ways to do it, here is one way:
          All for Brew AND brew for all

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
            i don't wanna say i told you so but... i told you so.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Here's another ...

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                Just build one with a lm317 cause you are going to upgrade to one and it is better to spend the extra few bucks up front.
                the point is, adding an lm317 is a nice-to-have. you can get a pretty decent stir plate without having to spend a crap load or, if you're lucky, anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  80% of the time I add these 3 to the cube.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1048[/ATTACH]

Then again you get some of the Australians (the no-chill kings) that add ALL their hops to the cube & do the boil with zero hops
                  I compared no-chill with hops in bags that stayed in the kettle during transfer (no hops to cube) vs no-chill with all the hops prior to 20 min in the kettle and all hops after 20 min going straight into the cube during hot wort transfer and liked the results so far.

Brew #1 I did a No-chill APA with 30, 10 and 5 min hops, all the hops in bags, no hops went into the cube.
                  Brew #2 I did the same APA with 30 min hops in a bag going into the kettle but did not trasfer the 30 min hops to the cube, the 10 and 5 min hops I did not go into the kettle, I just put them loose in the cube and racked the hot wort onto it. ( I also split both the beers and dryhopped 1/2 with 3g/liter S.aroma )

The difference between these 2 beers is not too difficult to spot.

Brew #1 a Very good APA with good 1st impressions of malt going over to a nice hop balance with a pleasant bitter finnish (1st impression: I like this beer but think Ill dry hop it in future to give it a little extra character)

Brew #2 The same APA with good balance between malt and hops but the finish was like drinking a totaly different beer, the hops in the after taste was more bright and pronounced as if it was dryhopped ( the Cascade realy came through here) It might come over as a little more bitter than the 1 st beer but I think that is due to the extra hop flavour.

Its realy a good beer and I would have to hide this one from my thirsty friends. Thanx for sharing your LAAPA recipe AtronSeige
                  Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 28 June 2018, 12:04.
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I have 2 packets of hops I want to get rid of, so my next 2 brew will be SMaSH brews (+ a little caramalt for colour) and the hops will all go into the cubes.

From what i can figure, the one will come in with a IBU of ±33 and the other ±45 ... so all bitterness/flavour will be from the hops steeping in the hot wort inside the cubes.

After this I'll have no more hops and can start building up from scratch ... so far all my brews the last ±6 months have been a mix of old hops ... a person really build up a large stockpile from wanting to test them all ... I think from now on, I'm gonna brew more with local hops

Comment

Same problem here regarding the hops. I would like to brew atleast 50% of my regular beers with only local hops in them.

Im currently playing with the idea of fermenting in the cube

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

... I think from now on, I'm gonna brew more with local hops
                        I would like to brew atleast 50% of my regular beers with only local hops in them.
                        do it now as much as you can; it may not be possible in the future:

https://www.brewbound.com/news/u-s-c...can-hop-supply

Comment

Let us know how it goes. We need to be water-savvy on the farm, so this is a good idea.

Comment

Same problem here regarding the hops. I would like to brew atleast 50% of my regular beers with only local hops in them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            Many an Aussie do it that way ... they don't even use a bubbler .... just loosen the cap a little

I prefer transfer to FV as it's easier to clean post fermentation than cleaning the cube.

Comment

Many an Aussie do it that way ... they don't even use a bubbler .... just loosen the cap a little

I prefer transfer to FV as it's easier to clean post fermentation than cleaning the cube.
                              I've got some 25L blue clear plastic water dispensers. Nice big wide screw top and a removable tap. Cube shape so very little space loss in a fermentation chamber.
                              Easy to clean and the smooth PET plastic makes it less porous than the white ones.
                              You get 10L as well so you can do a 20L, 30L, 40L or 50L batch by splitting the batch between vessels.

We use these for all our small batches. If I use the white standard 25L drums, I try not to use the ones with taps.

Comment

Picture of said container or where to purchase from?

Comment

Working...
                                X