No Chill Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Picture of said container or where to purchase from?
    Plastic Land I think? Plastic World?

Something like this but clear poly plastic:

Comment

^ Aah cool, those are nice! ... I take it it's HDPE2 ??
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

^ Aah cool, those are nice! ... I take it it's HDPE2 ??
        I dunno

Will have a look at one later for markings, but it is obviously food grade, just dunno how it will handle heat @ 70+degC

Comment

Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting but I feel I can add some experience here. I am quite new to brewing (especially all grain) and only have about 6 all grain batches to brag about. I have very limited resources (space,funds and time) available to me so have had to learn to make do without lots of the equipment most people call "absolutely essential".

One luxury I have never had is a wort chiller so I have been "no-chill" from the start and have had no issues and consistent results from the start.

Anyway,here is my experience with "No-Chill":
          *I pour my hot wort straight into my (normal white 30l HDPE bucket) fermenter from flameout,in my opinion the hotter the better as it helps sterilise the fermenter.
          *I put on an airlock,but keep an eye as the expanding gas makes it lose lots of fluid(whiskey or Vodka in my case) and also creates vacuum when cooling so you dont want too much fluid overflowing into the fermenter.
          *I just add an extra 10 mins to my hop times,dry hopping gets added when I pitch the yeast.
          *I let it cool down to luke warm to the touch (usually about 24 hours) and add it my fermenting fridge
          *Once at pitching temp (measured from the STC-probe taped to fermentor) I sterilise,open the lid and pitch yeast.
          *Continue on fermenting as usual.

I can imagine that this also saves lots of time and simplifies the process over having to wait for the wort to chill and deal with sticky chillers and hosepipes and water all over the show.

Well that my 2 cents,hope it helps anyone wanting to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney99 View Post
            Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting but I feel I can add some experience here. I am quite new to brewing (especially all grain) and only have about 6 all grain batches to brag about. I have very limited resources (space,funds and time) available to me so have had to learn to make do without lots of the equipment most people call "absolutely essential".

One luxury I have never had is a wort chiller so I have been "no-chill" from the start and have had no issues and consistent results from the start.

Anyway,here is my experience with "No-Chill":
            *I pour my hot wort straight into my (normal white 30l HDPE bucket) fermenter from flameout,in my opinion the hotter the better as it helps sterilise the fermenter.
            *I put on an airlock,but keep an eye as the expanding gas makes it lose lots of fluid(whiskey or Vodka in my case) and also creates vacuum when cooling so you dont want too much fluid overflowing into the fermenter.
            *I just add an extra 10 mins to my hop times,dry hopping gets added when I pitch the yeast.
            *I let it cool down to luke warm to the touch (usually about 24 hours) and add it my fermenting fridge
            *Once at pitching temp (measured from the STC-probe taped to fermentor) I sterilise,open the lid and pitch yeast.
            *Continue on fermenting as usual.

I can imagine that this also saves lots of time and simplifies the process over having to wait for the wort to chill and deal with sticky chillers and hosepipes and water all over the show.

Well that my 2 cents,hope it helps anyone wanting to try it.
            Welcome to the forum

I can't see that your method would not work, the only difference is that you pitch yeast within +- 24 hours into wort that has O2 in headspace above it as to a cube that has practically zero O2 ezposure and that you can conveniently keep the sealed cube until you have space and time to ferment it.

As with your method the 1st thing to consider I think would be exposing the wort to air in the headspace but then again it should not be a actual problem as you do not handle the closed bucket that much and the wort is sitting in a sterilised environment with the air above it that was mostly steam in the 1st place.

With fermenting in the cube my biggest concern was the higher volume of cold break/kettle trub that is part of the fermentation, then again the Brulosophy trub experiments shows that it does not have a negative impact on the beer.

My reasoning behind fermenting in the cube was that you pitch yeast into a already cleaned, sanitised and heated by close to boiling wort cube/container in so doing you would minimise the chances of nasty's during transvers from the cube to the fermenter i.e. exactly what you are doing

As a additional convenience factor to no-chill fermenting in the cube I was thinking that I could pull my starter from the cube (without creating headspace) seal the cube again while building up my starter. When my starter is ready open the cube, let the cube expand to create headspace, shake the cube to aerate and then pitch the starter from the original wort that I took from the cube and then ferment in the cube.

or I could just pour some wort out of the cube to create headspace for fermentation, shake to aerate and then pitch a starter made from fresh wort that I prepared from scratch 2 days prior.
            Or I can also use the wort that I took from the 1st cube to create headspace to make a starter for my 2nd beer that I then pitch the next day.

How do you aerate your wort in the bucket before pitching the yeast?
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 27 October 2017, 07:28.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              Let us know how it goes. We need to be water-savvy on the farm, so this is a good idea.
              I have fermented 9 batches in the cube without any issues.

I just open the cube, pour out +- 2 litres of wort to create enough headspace for fermenting, aerate, add yeast and ferment as normal.

Just get yourself some extra caps for the cubes, drill a hole in the cap, fit a top hat rubber seal and a airlock or a blow off tube and you are ready to go
              Harhm
              Last edited by Harhm; 31 January 2019, 10:29.
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                I have fermented 9 batches in the cube without any issues.

I just open the cube, pour out +- 3 litres of wort to create enough headspace for fermenting, aerate, add yeast and ferment as normal.

Just get yourself some extra caps for the cubes, drill a hole in the cap, fit a top hat rubber seal and a airlock or a blow off tube and you are ready to go
                In all the years I have been doing No-chill I've never done or seen the reason to fill these cubes to the brim. I use 25L cubes and only fill to ±20L and never had a problem .... why would a 5L sanitized and filled with steam headspace be a problem??

Comment

why would a 5L sanitized and filled with steam headspace be a problem??

Probably oxidation? I just use 20l cubes which I fill and then pour over at pitching temp into Fermenter when yeast is ready. Would use larger cubes if my Fermenters could take more.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                    Probably oxidation? I just use 20l cubes which I fill and then pour over at pitching temp into Fermenter when yeast is ready. Would use larger cubes if my Fermenters could take more.
                    but that's what you want in your wort pre-fermentation

Comment

but that's what you want in your wort pre-fermentation
                      Not in hot wort, although there are info that states oxidation on home scale is minor.

Comment

The whole hot-side oxygenation thing is a myth. I've seen commercial brewers recirculating so hard the wort froths.

We've also tested that on MANY home brews and we've never had a problem with any pre-fermentation oxygenation.

In fact, the ONLY time oxygen is a problem is POST FERMENTATION.

Comment

When filling the cube, steam displaces the air very quickly.

I also fill my 25l cube with about 20l wort and 5l headspace. By the time the wort is cool that 5l headspace has collapsed to less than 1 liter.

Oxidation is not an issue here.
                          For things I'm selling:
                          - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
                          - I am located in Pretoria East
                          - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

I realy pushed the limmits on this beer, its a BIAB Lite Lager that I No-chilled and kept in my garage for 6 months I did a fast ferment in 3 weeks, crashed for 2 days, bottled and this is what it look like after after 10 days in the bottle.

IMG-20171124-WA0001.jpg

Cleen and crisp like a Spring morning
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 24 November 2017, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                              I realy pushed the limmits on this beer, its a BIAB Lite Lager that I No-chilled and kept in my garage for 6 months I did a fast ferment in 3 weeks, crashed for 2 days, bottled and this is what it look like after after 10 days in the bottle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1502[/ATTACH]

Cleen and crisp like a Spring morning

that's quite incredible

Comment

Your beer looks great Harhm.

Hot side aeration i understand is not really applicable on a homebrew level. Oxidation of wort is not necessarily the same thing, however the 5l head space in a 25l is probably then simply not enough O2 to cause any noticeable harm..

If beer produced in a coolship doesn't have oxidation issues, then I suppose the matter is settled.
                                The Flying Brew
                                Last edited by The Flying Brew; 24 November 2017, 16:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X