X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Thanks.

I'll add a bit of Cara Gold EBC120 (same colour addition as the Sierra Nevada)

and Centennial and Mittlefruh it is.
    .. don't want to use Centennial with Citra - not looking for the 'Killer Hop' combo

I didn't spot the Citra on your sheet, thats why i said Centennial ... Otherwise you could go Citra + Hallertua
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I would drop the voss
      Had to pitch this again.

i didn't find a replacement keg fridge yet, so my small fermentation fridge is still doubling as a beverage cooler atm.

At least the Voss can ferment warmer inside my "electric blanket fermentation chamber", but i will try keep it @ ±23șC

The Blonde is a low hop beer, so hopefully I will see how bad the taste is I got from previous Voss brews in this one.

Comment

• Halfway through mashing another pale ale. Same base grain bill as my previous one, but decided to give galaxy a go!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...alaxy-pale-ale

Also set the mill gap quite a bit tighter. Circulation still going strong with finer crush. Keen to see efficiency numbers after the adjustment...

Comment

• So I ran into a very weird speedbump... 45mins into the boil I happen to notice a little black speck in the boiling wort (about the size of a piece of husk). As I lean in to take a look I get a whiff of a slight burnt smell. Gave it a quick stir with the spoon to see if there's other black/burnt bits, but nothing. I decided to forge ahead, expecting to fund a scorched element, but after transferring to the fermenter the element looked fine. nothing scorched / burnt. Cleanup up super easy.

What could have caused this? Things I did different:
          1 - finer mill setting (my initial thought is that extra flour from the finer crush stuck to element and burnt, but this wasn't the case)
          2 - Gave the back a longer squeeze than usual. Element was off during this time. Before firing the element again I gave everything a good stir to try and lift anything that might've settled on the element)
          3 - used the SCR to dial the boil back from the usual very aggressive boil to a simmer (clear convection currents / movement of the wort, but no bubbles on top)

What else could this have been? Burnt hop matter (I added a first wort addition - could it have stuck to the element and slowly scorched over the course of the boil)?

Wort is busy cooling - haven't pitched yeast yet. Hit my numbers spot on. Tasting the cooled wort you don't immediately get a burnt taste, rather a mild bitterness/astringency. Should I pitch the yeast and let it ride? I'm planning on adding a big dry hop addition. Will this potentially mask any burnt notes?

Comment

• Possibility is that there could have been a couple of stray roasted malt bits. Did you crush the grains yourself or at the LHBS? chances are that if at the LHBS granuals could have mixed ? - leftovers from the previous 'Mill my Grain'

Comment

• Did my blondie biscuit today and also noticed a black fleck or 2. Oh well. Hit my numbers spot on and it's in the cube tonight, ready to be pitched on a fresh US-05 cake tomorrow when I bottle my 1st cascade adventure.

Comment

• Bottled last night and was left with the US-05 trub/yeast. I couldn't get it over my heart to pour the new clean wort into the dirty fermentor so I cleaned it first, then chucked half the trub/yeast across (other half is in the fridge) and then glug-glug'd the wort out of the cube. There were bubbles everywhere. Into the fridge it went at 20 degs and 6 hours later and there was a massive krausen present. Much bigger than the 1st batch's dry pitch.

In my excitement I forgot to "sieve" the cube to remove hops so now all is in the fermenter. Oh well. Live and learn!

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                  Bottled last night and was left with the US-05 trub/yeast. I couldn't get it over my heart to pour the new clean wort into the dirty fermentor so I cleaned it first, then chucked half the trub/yeast across (other half is in the fridge) and then glug-glug'd the wort out of the cube. There were bubbles everywhere. Into the fridge it went at 20 degs and 6 hours later and there was a massive krausen present. Much bigger than the 1st batch's dry pitch.

In my excitement I forgot to "sieve" the cube to remove hops so now all is in the fermenter. Oh well. Live and learn!
                  I NEVER sieve ... everything from the cube goes straight into the FV

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    I NEVER sieve ... everything from the cube goes straight into the FV
                    I've never NOT sieved... 1st time for everything I suppose

Comment

Bottled last night and was left with the US-05 trub/yeast. I couldn't get it over my heart to pour the new clean wort into the dirty fermentor so I cleaned it first, then chucked half the trub/yeast across (other half is in the fridge) and then glug-glug'd the wort out of the cube. There were bubbles everywhere. Into the fridge it went at 20 degs and 6 hours later and there was a massive krausen present. Much bigger than the 1st batch's dry pitch.

Uhm... it exploded

1.jpg

How to fix... Clean up / re-sanitise and then replace everything?

Comment

Uhm... it exploded

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2956[/ATTACH]

Just push the lid back and leave it alone.

Comment

Uhm... it exploded

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2956[/ATTACH]

I had that once, just used a spray bottle with sanitizer and sprayed off all the excess on the lid and rim of bucket till failry clean, cleaned out airlock and resealed, fermentation continued as normal.

PS. i did not remove the lid from the bucket for fear of exposing the wort to oxygen, just opened slightly and worked my way around the bucket. only removed the airlock for cleaning.

Comment

• Looks like you had a healthy fermentation. What temp did you had it on?
                            This might happen when temps are too high.

It's also for this reason I only have a blow-off setup. Been working fine till now and handled a couple of spill overs.

Comment

Looks like you had a healthy fermentation. What temp did you had it on?
                              This might happen when temps are too high.

It's also for this reason I only have a blow-off setup. Been working fine till now and handled a couple of spill overs.
                              Was running it at 18C which has been fine for my previous brews.

Did I maybe overpitch too much cake from the previous batch?

Comment

Was running it at 18C which has been fine for my previous brews.

Did I maybe overpitch too much cake from the previous batch?
                                I don't think so ... sometime I pitch new wort onto the old trub in the same FV and never had it that bad (touch wood) .... then again my buckets seems to have a little more headspace than that one of yours ?

Comment

Working...
                                X