Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even if you don't sparge, you should get WAY more. Without sparging (just a bit of squeezing) my efficiency in the 50l is over 70%. I think you're doing something wrong. Is your thermometers and stuff all correct?

To the Q at hand - I've got my Marzen in keg now and it's dropping FAST. It's an awesome beer, I LOVE it. I brewed an Irish Red Ale the other day that actually turned out more rusty brown than red (quite bummed about that) but the flavours all seem on point. I'll be fermenting this one tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm hopefully brewing a quite Blonde for myself that I can take to a party in two weeks' time. I'm strongly considering breaking out the Voss I have on hand, but I've never fermented with a Kveik before. Something else that's perhaps a bit more suitable to Voss I can try? I have a few malts and hops in the fridge.

Perhaps something with the saaz and mittelfrueh I have in the fridge? I have some pils malt, munich type 1 and 2, a few other specialties I can play with and loooooots of pale malt. Ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      I dont sparge. <>

For now it's fine but I will probably have to bite the bullet and start sparging.. I'm just lazy.. and it's messy I'm currently brewing in my apartment
      I dont sparge (BIAB) and get 75-85
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
        groenspookasem
        Banned
        Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:38.

Comment

• I do 75L full volume BIAB and I consistently get 75-80% measured depending on the grain bill. I stir every 20 minutes. I mash for 90 minutes. I mash out to 76 degrees by raising the temp using gas. Chasing another 5% when you don't brew 1000L is a waste of time, energy, and water.
          If you can't get 85% on a GF you're doing something wrong. Or you need to read the manual more.

Comment

groenspookasem
            Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              Even if you don't sparge, you should get WAY more. Without sparging (just a bit of squeezing) my efficiency in the 50l is over 70%. I think you're doing something wrong. Is your thermometers and stuff all correct?

To the Q at hand - I've got my Marzen in keg now and it's dropping FAST. It's an awesome beer, I LOVE it. I brewed an Irish Red Ale the other day that actually turned out more rusty brown than red (quite bummed about that) but the flavours all seem on point. I'll be fermenting this one tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm hopefully brewing a quite Blonde for myself that I can take to a party in two weeks' time. I'm strongly considering breaking out the Voss I have on hand, but I've never fermented with a Kveik before. Something else that's perhaps a bit more suitable to Voss I can try? I have a few malts and hops in the fridge.

Perhaps something with the saaz and mittelfrueh I have in the fridge? I have some pils malt, munich type 1 and 2, a few other specialties I can play with and loooooots of pale malt. Ideas?

That could possibly be it, all my thermometers read different values, so who knows which one is correct. I'm not even sure how to figure that one out tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                Agreed !

Is that mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency? GF users generally get 75% - so I'm happy with the 80% on mine and like you said - chasing that extra 5% is a waste of time energy and water ;-)

Hows things going Jakes? Busy weekend at the damn?
                brewhouse efficiency

I'm happy with that considering that one never knows how much each batch of malt has deviated from the advertised figures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                  That could possibly be it, all my thermometers read different values, so who knows which one is correct. I'm not even sure how to figure that one out tbh.
                  The easiest way to calibrate a thermometer is with a kettle of water. Water should boil at almost exactly 100 degrees at sea level. (Assuming that you don't have a crapload of dissolved solids in the water.) So boil a kettle of DISTILLED WATER and you will be able to calibrate your thermometers.

I have two K-type probe thermometers from Communica, and even those are 2 degrees out. I can live with 2 degrees deviation on a mash.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    The easiest way to calibrate a thermometer is with a kettle of water. Water should boil at almost exactly 100 degrees at sea level. (Assuming that you don't have a crapload of dissolved solids in the water.) So boil a kettle of DISTILLED WATER and you will be able to calibrate your thermometers.

I have two K-type probe thermometers from Communica, and even those are 2 degrees out. I can live with 2 degrees deviation on a mash.
                    I have tossed several thermometers that measure perfectly accurate at boiling, and go increasingly wrong as the temp goes down.

Best way to check your thermometer is with a non-digital thermometer. They're usually very accurate and don't "go out".

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      I have tossed several thermometers that measure perfectly accurate at boiling, and go increasingly wrong as the temp goes down.

Best way to check your thermometer is with a non-digital thermometer. They're usually very accurate and don't "go out".
                      I have fundamental concerns about dangling a glass thermometer in my wort for 90 minutes

but I do understand that isn't what you said.

The cheap digitals are indeed useless (the black ones you buy at brewing shops).

A proper industrial probe thermometer is calibrated and fairly accurate across the range.

https://www.banggood.com/Vici-DM6801...EaAtWIEALw_wcB

The probe wires are replaceable. I usually have 2 or 3 probes as I am rough on my stuff especially when distilling.

Comment

• Oh for sure. What I was suggesting (for those who perhaps didn't know), is that you should compare your thermometers with proper glass thermometers now and again. Even if it's just with a mug of hot water. Boil a kettle, dangle thermometer in there (make sure it'll handle the heat), compare with your digitals. Do this across a range of temperatures.

I know have two digitals that measure the same temp the whole range I use it in (from room temp all the way up to boiling), and they work well.

Comment

• I only use non-digital thermometers.
                          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Random question:

Where can I get brettanomyces? Haven't used it before, but do like a good brett imperial stout.

Comment

groenspookasem
                              Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                                liquidculture has, it's slower than sacc cerv and you'll dedicate your plastics to brett only future brews or get new.

https://liquidculture.co.za/strains/..._yeast_strains
                                Thanks, will give them a go.

My plan for now is that it is a once off, so happy to chuck away what I use

Comment

Working...
                                X