Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been a bit quiet lately .. preoccupied with borehole stuff. Finally done now - just need to finish up pipework.
    Anyway back to the topic of brewing .. haven't done a proper brew for couple weeks now. Last one was the Marzen I brewed 3 weeks ago, that I bottled yesterday - looking foreward to that..

I did however in the mean time make a 5 gal ginger beer batch. Boiled water, grated lots of ginger (I didn't weigh it .. was about R30's worth) and 1.5kgs white sugar - suppose to give me an og of 1.034, using Safale's Cider yeast FG was calculated at 1.009. Added some grind-up star anise and juice from 2 lemons in the fermenter. 2 weeks later, primed and bottled this morning.. FG finished at 0.992 - abv from planned 3.4 to 5.5.. but smelled awesome though.. I had a taster, was good.. dry as extected, thou the star anise still gave it a sweet after taste. Pity the hot days are almost over.

Comment

• ^ I should also make another Ginger Beer ... I used to brew them quiet often when I started brewing.

Big enough batch, so i can keg
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Alright, so my brew that's going on now. Pitched the Kveik yesterday at 9:00. At 9:20 the airlock was moving. At 13:00 I had such a rich krauzen I decided to top-crop, and sterilized two 125ml purity jars (baby food jars). I sanitized a spoon and scooped each jar full off the krauzen. After the foam settled down the jars are each about half full of liquid, of which half looks to be beer. The rest should be the pitchable yeast, right?

Anyway, the gas escaping from the airlock smells amazing. I'm running it inside the electric blanket, but with one side open. Temp seems to sit between 26 and 28 degrees, so it's on the cooler side of things. The smell from the airlock reminds me a lot of commercial beer smells, specially Windhoek Draught, so it's promising. It'll go down well with the Castle drinkers at the baby shower, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Alright, so my brew that's going on now. Pitched the Kveik yesterday at 9:00. At 9:20 the airlock was moving. At 13:00 I had such a rich krauzen I decided to top-crop, and sterilized two 125ml purity jars (baby food jars). I sanitized a spoon and scooped each jar full off the krauzen. After the foam settled down the jars are each about half full of liquid, of which half looks to be beer. The rest should be the pitchable yeast, right?

Anyway, the gas escaping from the airlock smells amazing. I'm running it inside the electric blanket, but with one side open. Temp seems to sit between 26 and 28 degrees, so it's on the cooler side of things. The smell from the airlock reminds me a lot of commercial beer smells, specially Windhoek Draught, so it's promising. It'll go down well with the Castle drinkers at the baby shower, I think.
          Told you it would be ready in time

Comment

• Same here, the Kveik Oslo is doing it's thing in my 57liter fermenter, I cannot use an airlock as the Kveik is just too aggressive, it pushes yeast through the blowoff tube into the sanitised jar, this morning it is a lot calmer and I opted for the airlock, mainly so I could top crop. All good, should be done by tomorrow, dry hop on Sunday, start cold crashing on Wednesday, keg on Saturday, ready for Brewcraft Saturday Session on 10 April...looking forward to it.

Anyone here joining the Saturday Session? It's actually quite nice to get a feel for what other brewers are doing out there. And we can meet and greet as well, in person!

Comment

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
              groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:37.

Comment

groenspookasem
                Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  if i were in jhb, if the pandemic is over, if the beer was free and if the company and music was good - i still wouldn't go.
                  too mainstream for you? i might just add some methanol and iron if I knew you were coming..

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post

Anyone here joining the Saturday Session? It's actually quite nice to get a feel for what other brewers are doing out there. And we can meet and greet as well, in person!
                    I would if I could, but it's a bit of a trek. Would love to have a chin wag and share some ideas with some other brewers, basically what we do on this forum but in person sharing beer. Also try a few other brewers beers and get their feedback on mine.

Comment

groenspookasem
                      Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        being an asshole, i doubt i'd make friends and influence people
                        I think this statement sums it up well.

Comment

• Ok, besides the assholes, anyone else coming for a beer?

Comment

groenspookasem
                            Banned

Comment

groenspookasem
                              Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                                Ok, besides the assholes, anyone else coming for a beer?
                                bit far from us, we were at the Centurion event last week

Comment

Working...
                                X