Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I just really didn't expect it to rise so quickly lol. I'm still waiting to receive my STC 1000 via Ebay so my fermentation temp control is extremely rudimentary. Usually insulate with a blanket and a warm/cold water bottle depending on room temp.

I thought I still had a Safbrew WB06 on hand but I forgot I gave that to a friend who attempted a Weis, so I rehydrated the kit yeast (Mangrove Jack 10g Abbey) that came with the pouch and used that (https://brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-jac...html?cat=24234). Hopefully it's a warmer fermenting yeast, I'm not sure if the yeast that they ship with their kits is the same as their regular Mangrove Jack's yeast.

I usually like ester and phenol forward beers like Weis, so hopefully this will be tolerable then if it does get a bit big in that area.

Comment

• Originally posted by HoboSpit View Post
      Yeah I just really didn't expect it to rise so quickly lol. I'm still waiting to receive my STC 1000 via Ebay so my fermentation temp control is extremely rudimentary. Usually insulate with a blanket and a warm/cold water bottle depending on room temp.

I thought I still had a Safbrew WB06 on hand but I forgot I gave that to a friend who attempted a Weis, so I rehydrated the kit yeast (Mangrove Jack 10g Abbey) that came with the pouch and used that (https://brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-jac...html?cat=24234). Hopefully it's a warmer fermenting yeast, I'm not sure if the yeast that they ship with their kits is the same as their regular Mangrove Jack's yeast.

I usually like ester and phenol forward beers like Weis, so hopefully this will be tolerable then if it does get a bit big in that area.
      Was it the MJ M47 yeast?

A top-fermenting ale strain suitable for many types of ales of all strengths. Ferments with a neutral yeast aroma to ensure the full character of the malts and hops are prominent in each beer. Suitable for IPA's, Porters, Russian Imperial Stouts and more. Attenuation: High Flocculation: Very High. Usage Directions: Sprinkle directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 16-22 degrees C (61-72 degrees F)​【16 to 22°C】. Storage Recommendations: Store in the fridge
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        Was it the MJ M47 yeast?
        Seems brewcraft has a different description than the international website

https://mangrovejacks.com/products/b...-m47-yeast-10g

25 Seems still lekker..
        PaBz0r
        Last edited by PaBz0r; 15 June 2021, 13:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
          Seems brewcraft have a different description than the international website

25 Seems still lekker..

Interesting

I would stick to the info from the international site then

Comment

• Originally posted by HoboSpit View Post
            Good Morning Guys!

Brewed a partial mash Belgian Abbey on Sunday (First time doing a Belgian; Very excited!).
            I know they normally ferment at slightly higher temps, but mine has been raising up over the course of 2 days and is currently sitting at +-25 degrees, bubbler is still extremely active (I pitched at 20 degrees Sunday evening).
            Should I be concerned at all and attempt to lower the temp a bit? Or should it be fine to leave it to finish it's growth phase on its own terms?
            What yeast did you use ? Read up on the temp range specs for that yeast.
            I'm assuming you're fermenting at room temperature, what is your average day-/night time room temps? if daytime is in excess of 25 then your yeast might inherit that ambient temp. .. if lower then it's your yeasts metabolism that is cranking the temp up - which is quite normal then. Don't force your temp down now, that is going to stress the yeast and will produce extra off-flavours. Some Belgian yeast ferment upto 28°C .. so maybe you are good to go.

Nothing you can do now to salvage your brew. Chances are it's going to be ok, with some banana fruit flavours - which as it sounds is what you like.. if it's too much, let it mature for a couple of weeks - it will mellow out over time.

Comment

• Yeah that abbaye yeast is pretty chill. Should be nice at 25 with slightly more esters and phenols.

Im not a massive fan as it is so clean at lower temps. Would leave it alone even if it goes higher would only get involved if it hits 28c.

Havent used this one specifically but have used a few liquid abbaye yeasts they had the same description as this one so assume its same same but diffrent.

Comment

25 Seems still lekker..
                From the link above: 'ferment at 18-25 degrees C'
                Your brew will be ok.. no worries mate

Comment

Was it the MJ M47 yeast?
                  So funny enough, the kit yeasts always come in a barely labelled silver sachet, which is why I'm never sure. I'd hope it's the same as their MJ M47 and just packaged differently for attaching to their extract pouches.
                  Will just keep filling my water bottles with cold-ish tap water and insulate it next to the fermenter to keep the temp closer to 25 degrees and not higher (Edit: Will actually just leave it and see how high it goes).
                  Very excited to see how this one turns out. Did a 50g Saaz whirlpool addition as well and it's honestly smelling lovely!
                  20210613_191651.jpg
                  HoboSpit
                  Last edited by HoboSpit; 15 June 2021, 13:21.

Comment

25 Seems still lekker..

Correct, BrewCraft have the wrong descrption for M47, it is actually the description for M42.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Seeing that it's Youth Day tomorrow and things are going to burn, let me ignite my gas burner and brew an Irish Extra Stout rather.

Image1.jpg
                      AlexBrew
                      Last edited by AlexBrew; 15 June 2021, 19:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        Seeing that it's Youth Day tomorrow and things are going to burn, let me ignite my gas burner and brew an Irish Extra Stout rather.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3364[/ATTACH]
                        Excellent idea, just need to put togeter a recipe, a Amber ale or Saison.

Comment

• I know we discussed this already, but....

A recipe that calls for flaked maize ... anyone used Kelloggs Corn ?

I've done it for a few cream ales and might do it again later with a Mexican Lager recipe.

...and keep the Iron crap out of it

Comment

I know we discussed this already, but....

A recipe that calls for flaked maize ... anyone used Kelloggs Corn ?

I've done it for a few cream ales and might do it again later with a Mexican Lager recipe.

...and keep the Iron crap out of it

I use Polenta. No iron or strange stuff.

Polenta.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              Recipe looks similar to a Pilsner Urquell. I've got one currently going in the fermenter.

EDIT:
                              https://byo.com/recipe/pilsner-urquell-clone/
                              BTW.. Thanks for the link. I had some vienna so added it too. Busy mashing as we speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                                I use Polenta. No iron or strange stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3365[/ATTACH]

noted

this? > https://www.woolworths.co.za/prod/Fo...g/_/A-20163181

Do you just add it to the mash? ... looks very fine ... will this not cause a "stuck sparge" ... as in clog my BIAB bag ?
                                JIGSAW
                                Last edited by JIGSAW; 16 June 2021, 17:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X