This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robcass View Post
    Thanks! I had a similar approach, just haven't got quite as low as 2% abv.

Brewing 2 attempts this coming weekend, one a new recipe and one a second attempt with some tweaks. Aiming for approximately 3% on each. Will post progress.
    Awesome
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Have done the same as what Harhm suggests. In my recipe I tried to use base malts with more character, such as Vienna and Munich, rather than going with Pilsner Malt or Pale Malt. Added 6% carapils and 2% crystal.

Mine was 2.8%, mashed at 69 degrees C. Used S-23 but have only done this once so maybe follow Harhms suggestion or maybe go for a German lager yeast like WLP830. I think at 2.5% +, it's not as difficult as you might think and I was quite happy with my results. If you wanna go down to 2%, that might be a different ball game and possibly looking into your water chemistry might become a bit more of a consideration.
      The Flying Brew
      Last edited by The Flying Brew; 17 May 2019, 07:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
        Have done the same as what Harhm suggests. In my recipe I tried to use base malts with more character, such as Vienna and Munich, rather than going with Pilsner Malt or Pale Malt. Added 6% carapils and 2% crystal.

Mine was 2.8%, mashed at 69 degrees C. Used S-23 but have only done this once so maybe follow Harhms suggestion or maybe go for a German lager yeast like WLP830. I think at 2.5% +, it's not as difficult as you might think and I was quite happy with my results. If you wanna go down to 2%, that might be a different ball game and possibly looking into your water chemistry might become a bit more of a consideration.
        I did the same. Used no "base malts", so to speak and added in darker malts to boost colour. In the end I ended up with around 0.3~0.6% ABV (struggling to really calculate) AFTER natural carbonation. The beer is OK. I'm not sure why but I ended up with a very liquorice-like flavour and I think it's because of stressed yeast. Anyway, the beer looks like Coke, but has a very fine, creamy head and foam, which is nice. Quite bitter since I used a lot of hops to make up the flavour.

It's drinkable, but I suspect only to me and my dad who's too scared to tell me it tastes like crap. I promised langchop a few bottles, but I'm a bit shy to drop them off. REALLY worried about what he might say, truthfully

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
          Have done the same as what Harhm suggests. In my recipe I tried to use base malts with more character, such as Vienna and Munich, rather than going with Pilsner Malt or Pale Malt. Added 6% carapils and 2% crystal.

Thanks Flying Brew. For the recipes I'm doing this weekend I'm using SO4. I've done light lagers with S23 which were good, and I wasn't worried about body in those recipes so kept things fairly simple apart from a slightly higher mash temp. I'm trying to up the hopping rate on a very low alcohol ale and think it needs the body to stand up to the hops, even without any bittering additions. I like Harhms suggestion of 2:1 sulphate to chloride ratio. I was just planning to increase chlorides. Anyway, I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to do for now, and will then tweak and adjust based on the results.

Comment

• My Go'n'b'yum (Session IPA) should have been kegged today, but the bugger decided to show signs of fermentation after the last dry hop addition, so we will be kegging during the week.

The Trappist Single's yeast was used to make a Dubbel, which was kegged yesterday. The yeast from that will go into the Triple, which will be brewed next weekend.

I made yet another attempt at a SA Hops only APA. It is still fermenting and will hopefully be ready for kegging on Saturday.

Comment

• How Do AtronSeige ,
              What was the projected Racking Gravity and the P.G respectively ; and was there a two day rest at say 13 - 14.5 c before racking ? .
              Cheers ,
              Edd The Brew

Comment

• Originally posted by Edd The Brew View Post
                How Do AtronSeige ,
                What was the projected Racking Gravity and the P.G respectively ; and was there a two day rest at say 13 - 14.5 c before racking ? .
                Cheers ,
                Edd The Brew
                What is Racking Gravity and P.G.?

All those beers were brewed at ~18C.

I do not have the other numbers with me at the moment.

Comment

• How Do AtronSeige ,
                  The Racking Gravity is the gravity of the beer when you put it into the container , and the P.G is the Final Gravity of the beer .( Projected Final Gravity @ eg 1.002.75 - 1.003 below Racking Gravity ( Dependant on Yeast Strain , Mash Heats etc ),
                  Cheers ,
                  Edd

Comment

• ^ After watching 100's of YT videos on brewing, that's the first time I hear that 'terminology' IIRC
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• WhatsApp Image 2019-05-19 at 17.23.13.jpg

Fermentation room and cold room as of yesterday. It was a busy weekend.

We've run out of SAB pale.

Comment

• How Do Jigsaw ,
                        It`s a force of habit when I`m talking about technical aspects to use brewer`s speak ,

Cheers ,
                        Edd The Brew

Comment

How Do Jigsaw ,
                          It`s a force of habit when I`m talking about technical aspects to use brewer`s speak ,

Cheers ,
                          Edd The Brew
                          Well, in that case I would suggest you make it a habit to use the same tongue that just about EVERY brewer uses ...

S.G = Specific gravity
                          O.G = Original gravity
                          F.G = Final gravity

Like I said, I've never really heard anyone use "racking gravity" or PG

Keep It Simple
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            Well, in that case I would suggest you make it a habit to use the same tongue that just about EVERY brewer uses ...

S.G = Specific gravity
                            O.G = Original gravity
                            F.G = Final gravity

Like I said, I've never really heard anyone use "racking gravity" or PG

Keep It Simple
                            I agree. I haven't seen other terms used.

Comment

How Do Jigsaw ,

Cheers ,
                              Edd The Brew
                              I have no problem with your terminology and find it interesting, I won't worry about being dictated to either.

Bottoms up!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• How Do Groenspookasem ,
                                Thanks for the reply , I`m not overly worried ; I just thought that if I explained what I meant it would make my answer more clear .

Cheers ;

Edd

Comment

Working...
                                X