Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewdog #193 with an addition of french oak chips. tomorrow.

Comment

• Thanx for the inputs guys. 2nd Lager went 100% last drippings from the fly sparged bag measured in at 1.015 and the grafity at end of the boil was spot on at 1.033
      Basicaly I just increased the mash volume, I started with 5 l more than normal mash volume, sparged with 5 liter less and toped up like normal to finish with the same final volume to the cube. Did use the Beersmith dilution and boiloff calculator to assist neering the end of the boil to check if I was still on target. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• How is your Hopfiction doing Al ? Currently crashing mine, I will be bottling early next week. I only dry hopped with 150 grams (50g each of Amarillo, Chinook and Mosaic)
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Well Done - hope it taste great!! Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
            How is your Hopfiction doing Al ? Currently crashing mine, I will be bottling early next week. I only dry hopped with 150 grams (50g each of Amarillo, Chinook and Mosaic)
            bottled it last sunday and cracked a few last night. freakin nice! went whole hog with the hops though.

one thing, and this is possibly just me, but i've begun to notice that amarillo, when used in large amounts, has a strange bitterness to it. i don't know how else to describe it. kinda like the bitterness you get from the white part of an orange peel and while it's very slight, if i make this again, i'll try substitute amarillo with something else.

over all though, great beer. i'm enjoying the hell out of it! i'd like to get your opinion as soon as you can.

Comment

• Did two stouts 2 weeks ago:

both based on Hennie @ TwoOkes' stout recipe, but one was boiled oats, the other was roasted oats.

We racked to mini keg on Friday, so it's still very young, but it was interesting to taste the differences in flavour and mouthfeel.

Will see how they mature by next weekend.

I think I'll do a BJCP taste sheet for each just for practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Did two stouts 2 weeks ago:

both based on Hennie @ TwoOkes' stout recipe, but one was boiled oats, the other was roasted oats.

We racked to mini keg on Friday, so it's still very young, but it was interesting to taste the differences in flavour and mouthfeel.

Will see how they mature by next weekend.

I think I'll do a BJCP taste sheet for each just for practice.
                Do you prefer the toasted oats?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                  Do you prefer the toasted oats?
                  actually not

the boiled/cooked oats gave a nicer mouthfeel and also a smoother taste

But like I said: early days and a stout needs a few weeks to mellow.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    actually not

the boiled/cooked oats gave a nicer mouthfeel and also a smoother taste

But like I said: early days and a stout needs a few weeks to mellow.
                    Interesting, look forward too the upcoming evaluation then.

Comment

• Will be tackling that (american) saison again tonight. This time, no pressure cookers. Promise.
                      Just a tin of golden larger, simcoe, and 1kg dme. Then again simcoe dry hop 3 days bedore cold crash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I have my very first saison lined up either this coming weekend or the one thereafter.... Pretty excited about it
                        Cheers

Jacques

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post

Im brewing again today ( another 1.033 Lager ) thinking of using less sparge water and making up the volume with more kettle top up. Gravity would be a few points higher after sparge but top up should even things out?

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
                          Its easier to dilute than to boil off. I think you'd be safe even with a pre-boil gravity of 1.050-1.060 without changing the flavour or colour profile noticeably.

The only draw back I can think of is lower hop utilisation from higher gravity. This is an easy adjustment in brewing software though.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Comment

• what are you brewing?

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                            I have my very first saison lined up either this coming weekend or the one thereafter.... Pretty excited about it
                            And i did not make my saison today. Sounded like work, and after the homework battle of today I decided to crack open another hobgoblin (2nd one for the night) and vape till my lungs complain. Do I feel guilty?
                            No
                            Sometimes my after work beer is just too small.
                            If i bottle in 750's, does it still count as only one beer after work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                              And i did not make my saison today. Sounded like work, and after the homework battle of today I decided to crack open another hobgoblin (2nd one for the night) and vape till my lungs complain. Do I feel guilty?
                              No
                              Sometimes my after work beer is just too small.
                              If i bottle in 750's, does it still count as only one beer after work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Yes 750 is one beer, IF in one bottle.... trouble is when you keg....

Comment

• Originally posted by Setsumi View Post
                                Yes 750 is one beer, IF in one bottle.... trouble is when you keg....
                                Hahaha [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X